"Decal.Rotation"

The ability to rotate entities on GUIs is helpful, even when on physical parts, but would it be possible to allow decals to do the same thing? This would be useful for things such as windmills and wheels!

10 Likes

For most usage cases, it seems to me that it’s easier and more efficient to simply rotate the Decal’s parent object as opposed to having to manually manage the Decal’s rotation through scripting, which would be required either way. Plus now that Guis have LightInfluence (and their own Rotation property at that), Decals are becoming more obsolete.

2 Likes

The only reason I’m still drawn to use decals is because Surface GUIs don’t map to unions and meshes, I use decals and textures for pretty much everything I do but I must agree they’re slowly being kicked out

This really seems unnecessary; I agree with the reasons above. Currently the only advantage decals have over surface guis is that they can wrap around objects, so if roblox added that ability to surface guis decals, then decals would basically become obsolete.

8 Likes

Decals and texture objects are far more efficient however. My games use several thousand instances of the same texture object to make up roadway lines and I found that subbing them out for SurfaceGuis absolutely murdered performance.

8 Likes

Support to the thread title; the same thing should be applied to Textures too.

The thing about SurfaceGuis mapping to 3D mesh entities like Unions and MeshParts is the way they’re handled. In the ROBLOX game engine, SurfaceGuis are actually 3D rendered assets that contain vertices and faces; the way ROBLOX makes them look 2D is by placing an orthographic camera on it. (If you’re wondering how I know this, I saw a former intern post it up on a forum a while back.) Because these are 3D entities, it would be harder to map it to a non-square face because roblox would need to subdivide the gui meshes, and then make the gui line up.

This would probably be the same as texture.offset, which has been delayed because of