Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

I don’t see why they don’t move to a material system like Blenders where materials are actually inserted into an object and can be very heavily modified and changed. and BumpMaps… Oooohhhh the lovely bumpmaps.

15 Likes

For my style of game, this makes it look 10 times better than the old versions of lighting!

3 Likes

Having to tweak the lighting in my places to look as close as possible with comaptibility is gonna be a bit annoying, but I totally understand the need to deprecate legacy. Can’t wait to see what else comes out of the Future Is Bright!

4 Likes

Are there plans for shadows in the alpha maps?

Like the fake leafs of the trees?

8 Likes

Agreed, Legacy can keep the glowing neon while compatibility’s neon looks like you have the lowest graphic set.

7 Likes

The intensity of neon in the new lighting engine (Voxel & Compatibility) is dependent on the strength of your bloom. Weaker bloom will result in less glow from neon parts, and vice versa. So yes, if the bloom in the level is very weak then all neon parts will look like they do on lowest graphics settings.

Taken from Future Is Bright: Phase 1 Released:

6 Likes

Here’s a comparison of my place using Legacy and Compatibility lighting:
Legacy

Compatibility

13 Likes

I’m still not a big fan of Neon being dependent on a bloom object. Personally, I feel that parts with their Material set to Neon should have an intensity slider.

20 Likes

Is that a wip of materials with workspace reflection rendering I see there?

3 Likes

That shows us that neon is greatly improved.

7 Likes

I sincerely hope so.

2 Likes

But do these reflective materials support the reflection of actual parts…? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Are you planning to remove Lighting.Compatibility in the future, after Lighting.Legacy is removed? If this happens, will you force users to switch to Lighting.Voxel?

6 Likes

Well, they kinda do. The darker the color of the part gets, the less it will glow. However I can agree that an actual intensity slider would be nice no matter how unlikely it is we’ll get one.

2 Likes

:frowning:

R.I.P. My old portal effect

29 Likes

Going to miss black neon :pensive:

15 Likes

What would happen if you try to change colour of the light? Or perhaps, the brightness? I can really tell that the sunrays Compatibility and Legacy are quite different.

But as far as I know, like you said, a solution is to make a thicker wall to hold some light going through.

3 Likes

Not sure why I didn’t see this post earlier but, I’m going to get honest. Some builds/situations look better in lagacy mode then voxel especially ones that’s an outdoors build at night or a dark area, I find it really hard to get it to be dark but still able to see things.

That said voxel is great I am using it in a newer build with a sci-fi theme and in an area with a big window looking out to space with “the sun” shining in (a part with surface light on the other side of the window), it makes a good “ray” on the floor and back wall.

But I still like lagacy a lot especially for neon parts or one of my builds of a idea for renos etc of my irl bedroom, built in a large scale. I have a desk set up with “rgb” lights and a pc etc I built, the surface lights etc look terrible on voxel mode it’s not smooth like lagacy, it’s boxy and the fade is not great.

6 Likes

The outside of the building (streets and such) are clearly visible from the inside (windows), so any change in lighting would be jarring.

4 Likes

New material system? Does this mean we can finally get support for normal and specular maps? This is a highly requested feature and obviously the engine has support (default materials use them)

2 Likes