Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

Thats a good news, no clue how we could be mad with this

1 Like

People are more mad at how poorly neon parts function with compatibility. With compatibility lighting, to get neon parts to work right, you have to use just about as much bloom as an amateur dev who just figured out that bloom was a thing. I’m hoping that it’s going to be fixed soon though, unless for some awful reason it’s intentional.

6 Likes

The biggest drawback for me here, and for Voxel lighting alike, is the fact that Neon loses its glow without using Bloom, and they have to go paired with eachother. And intensity setting for Neon material parts, for me, seem far better as you could want some parts to glow very brightly, and others not so much.

Using Bloom fixes that, but it also causes chat bubbles to become bloomed. So until that gets fixed, I really dislike that part about the update.

EDIT: I just tested it, this appears to be fixed.

2 Likes

Cool update, more variation.

3 Likes

Really nice instead of just removing legacy lighting

1 Like

Kind of glad, but kind of mad. I liked legacy and didn’t really want to change it, but this is a good update and should help improve the flow of development on the ROBLOX engine.

Is the new material system just gonna be changing numbers around or more like Unreal Engine 4’s material graphs

3 Likes

I’m gonna miss the old lighting.

I know how sad people feel when the old lighting will be removed, but I understand.
I really like the Compatibility Lighting though! Very nice and it still keeps the aesthetic look of 2006.
Comparisons:
My dodgeball place:
Legacy:

Voxel:

Compatibility:

I also realized it has the old studs too in any brightness!

All in all, I like Compatibility! Still see a few bugs that have already been reported.
Thanks for the heads up.

I was just assuming it would be

2 Likes

What’s up with this texture? It happens on both compatibility and voxel. It’s just a standard black plastic brick, and the weird texture only happens when its rotated in a certain way.

Edit: I’ve also noticed meshes such as hats are excessively shiny which makes them look faded if they are set to Plastic, and setting them to SmoothPlastic makes the colors pop a bit more. The difference was less dramatic in Legacy.

Compatability, Plastic

Compatability, SmoothPlastic

Legacy, Plastic

Obviously more noticeable in motion, and affected by changing the settings in Lighting.

26 Likes

Was worried this would happen, I still use legacy because it felt too saturated whatever I did, but I’m glad that they are introducing Compatibility and not totally removing it.

3 Likes

This looks sick!

2 Likes

If we are getting a new material system, does that mean we will be able to use custom specular/normal maps? The roblox engine has supported them for ages (current default materials use them). Its a very highly requested feature especially since custom meshes were added.

1 Like

If anyone is having trouble with the colors of Voxel or Compatibility, here’s what I did:

1. Download the Legacy version and open it in a separate Studio window
  2. Use Voxel lighting on the original place
  3. Set the Brightness to 1-1.5
  4. Set the Exposure to 0
  5. Add a ColorCorrection effect and set its Brightness to 0.1
  6. Go through the game and replace every single brick color, using the Legacy version as a comparison
  7. Adjust, adjust, and adjust in order to make sure every color is back to its original form

I’m not sure if Legacy is removed already, but I hope this is helpful for anyone who had trouble with Voxel’s colors.

EDIT (9/7/2023):
this post is old and i feel like the advice needs an update. after some testing i decided to use a skybox with a rainbow, and some colors and shades (like those TV no signal color test images). a skybox turned out to be the most accurate way to measure differences between compatibility lighting and other lighting modes. and, it turns out that switching away from compatibility lighting makes all colors and shades (every single one) change in value saturation and hue. eventually, the best solution i found if you want to switch away from compatibility was this:

1. set the exposure to 0
  2. add a colorcorrection and set all values (contrast, saturation, brightness) to 0.
  3. set the tintcolor to 291,291,291
  4. nothing else is needed, no need to change brickcolors or anything. you can set any lighting properties to whatever, even play with exposure if you want to.

even though this is the best option, it doesn’t fix everything. it does fix the problem where white skyboxes don’t reach 255 in value, preserves skybox color values of 0, and brings colors as close as possible to their original state. but if you dont want to rely on that tintcolor behavior there are three other options that are less effective:

1. set the exposure to 0
  2. add a color correction and set all values (contrast, saturation, brightness) to 0.1
  3. set the tintcolor to 255,255,255
  4. nothing else needed

OR

1. set the exposure to 0
  2. add a color correction
  3. set the color correction brightness to 0.1
  4. set the color correction contrast to 0.15
  5. set the color correction saturation to 0
  6. set the tintcolor to 255,255,255
  7. nothing else needed

OR

1. set the exposure to 0
  2. add a color correction
  3. set the color correction brightness to 0
  4. set the color correction contrast to 0.1
  5. set the color correction saturation to 0.15
  6. set the tintcolor to 255,255,255
  7. nothing else needed
7 Likes

Hi. Yes, it was something similar to this. Prior to this update, meshes that had a native object to Roblox’s mesh i.e. Sphere / Block / Cylinder / etc. would not cast shadows. They now do.
To anyone that has this same problem - simply find a FileMesh of the object desired and there will be no issue.

It’s such a tedious process that I’ve just decided to deal with color differences in my game that isn’t even out yet. Really sucks that they couldn’t have tried to make the colors at least be similar.

1 Like

You could quickly replace a single colour with this in the command line:

oc = BrickColor.Red() -- the colour you want to change
tc = BrickColor.new("Crimson") -- the colour you want to change oc too.
for _,p in pairs(game.Workspace:GetDescendants()) do
	p.BrickColor = p.BrickColor == oc and tc or oc
end
3 Likes

Only drawback is neon’s intensity which can be only changed with a bloom

also neon does not work on almost half the colors
Compatibility:

Legacy:

16 Likes