Detecting a child in the workspace thats spawned from storage

Hey everyone, I ran into a snag with one of my scripts that I could use some advice on. I’ve created a door script that detects an NPC’s health and once that NPC’s health reaches a certain threshhold it opens up. This script works fine when the NPC is placed in the workspace before testing but when the NPC is spawned in from ServerStorage the script no longer functions. How should I go about getting the script to Detect an NPC’s health that is spawned in during play from ServerStorage? I’ve also included the script in question below.

Summary
while true do

wait (0.01)

local h = game.Workspace["Kobold Shaman"]:findFirstChild("Monster")

if h~=nil then

if h.Health <=0 then

script.Parent.CanCollide = false

script.Parent.Transparency = 0.75

wait(10)

script.Parent.CanCollide = true

script.Parent.Transparency = 0

end

end

end

you also dont need to do while true do to detect Kobold Shaman health you can use
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/event/Humanoid/HealthChanged

here is some demo code so you can see how its done

game.Workspace["Kobold Shaman"].ChildAdded:Connect(function(child)
	-- if the child added is not Monster then exit you may not need this if all children will be monsters
	-- if child.Name ~= "Monster" then return end

child.Humanoid.HealthChanged:Connect(function(health)
		-- if the health is more then 0 do nothing and exit
		if health > 0 then return end

-- open door
		script.Parent.CanCollide = false
		script.Parent.Transparency = 0.75

-- wait 10 seconds
		task.wait(10)

-- close the door
		script.Parent.CanCollide = true
		script.Parent.Transparency = 0
	end)
end)
1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply 5uphi, I was playing around with your demo code to trying to learn how best to approach this and compare it to how i’ve drafted up the script. But the demo code you’ve linked doesnt seem to work, whether the NPC is spawned in from ServerStorage or placed in the workspace the door never actually alows the player to pass through. And after taking a closer look at the Humanoid.HealthChanged page on the Developer page I noticed that Humanoid.Health scripts apparently only function as local scripts which is most likely the root cause of the test code not working. Is there possibly another solution?

When the player attacks the enemy are you changing the health in a localscript or normal script

If your changing the health in a localscript then only the local player will detect the health changing and the health will not be replicated to the server and other players

The npc health is being changed with a normal script.