Disable use of ad-blocking extensions on Roblox

Ad blockers aren’t avoidable, the only way to check is on the client which, as any Roblox developer knows, the client has control over everything. If you add an anti-blocker, I can just block that anti-blocker; it’s not that hard to get around.

This would waste too much of engineers’ valuable time and the benefits of this feature do not outweight the cost in both user experience and development time.

9 Likes

Well, that is true, but it isn’t really wasting valuable time, because the time they spend would be to fix an issue. I do think that there are ways around it though. And if not, then maybe they can run checks to see if the HTML was deleted, and every 5 seconds they check and if it is then they re-add it.

And they will just bypass those every-5-second checks. It really isn’t worth the time.

3 Likes

Well your saying that like it’s a personalized thing. I was thinking more about universal adblockers, which are not going to go out of their way to block an ad on a single site.

:man_shrugging:

It wouldn’t belong before ad blockers specifically for Roblox come out, if this is what you mean

4 Likes

Usually universal blockers are most commonly used, as Roblox’s largest fanbase are younger children, and they or their parents install adblockers without fully going in to Roblox specific extensions.

And I can disable that JavaScript, and the JavaScript to check I’ve not disabled that JavaScript, and so on.

Many adblockers are programmed to detect these since they’re very common. and of course, there are many roblox-specific extensions that are out there that can block the ads if necessary.

3 Likes

If someone goes out of their way to block ads, you can be positive that they had no interest in viewing or clicking them anyway. If ad blocking was prevented, the number of impressions would raise but the click rate would lower propotionally, not gaining you much.

Additionally, the classic ads aren’t the best way to advertise as you’re not getting equal exposure across the potential player base. They’re displayed differently depending on screen resolution iirc and not at all on the app and on Xbox. Sponsored games are the way to go nowadays.

I can’t blame anyone blocking ads though; I have blocked them for years and don’t plan on enabling them any time soon as they wreck the website layout and never cease to dissapoint me aesthetically.

22 Likes

What if Roblox changed the ID of the element every once in a while, and the refreshed it to show the ad with the new ID? Just a thought.

1 Like

Someone would notice very quickly, and just like that, lots of users are already protected from the ads.

3 Likes

Roblox used to have in-game advertisments, not sure why it got removed. There’s a lot of potential gain by adding it back though as developers would have more control over the advertisments, players won’t be able to block them, and a majority of a player’s time is spent in-game rather than the website.

2 Likes

You can search for more posts by JParty to learn more about it.

5 Likes

An alternative option would be to give rewards for viewing ads. In 2015 this could easily be 1 tix per 10 ads viewed, but as Tix was removed, it wouldn’t really be possible.

1 Like

1 robux per 10 ads viewed maybe?

Roblox is however known for not making Robux available to non-paying users.

There will not be fixes for this. You will need to just cope. Ad-blockers are in an ever-evolving race with multiple top tech companies (including Facebook & Google). They will easily get past any obstacle Roblox puts down. Not to mention this update would get Roblox an extremely bad reputation- people already hate ads. No one clicks on ads except children.

Besides- the type of people who use ad-blockers will never click on your ad anyways. That is why they are using an ad-blocker.

3 Likes

Corporations spend thousands to show you ads, and then you go and download ad blocker, and that isnt seen as scummy, but as soon as it hurts you, it is? In that case, why just Roblox, why not the whole internet, this is just a bad idea.

1 Like

You cant “disable” the use of it. Adblockers can bypass any kind of “Re add the ad” or things like that.

1 Like

I made this 2 years ago calm down everyone :sob:

For clarification, this post was more of a reminder (at the time, and its only gotten worse) how ads are slowly becoming more and more useless by the day, and should be used to get some people thinking about how it can be fixed or at least start making steps towards the right direction!

And now for replies!

I would agree (besides the autistic part :confused:) but recently there has been extensions even blocking sponsors. Although I agree now that disabling ad-blockers is probably not the way to go, I do believe that at least an effort should be made.

Hi! Big fan of bridgenet, I use it in my current project! its cool you commented :grin:

An idea for a fix or at least a better system would be the system Google Ads uses, where you set a budget (for example 10000 Robux) and only pay for results (for example 2 robux per click, 5 robux per play, 10 per group join, etc) and the ad runs until its either expired (set a maximum time limit for example 3 days) or you reach your budget. This way your paying to see results, and people who block ads won’t matter as much.

I do not use adblockers. I allow ads on most sites myself, and only make the effort to block trackers! Only exception is if a site is incredibly scummy looking and littered with ads, I will block it.

Not sure why such a sarcastic tone had to be taken for a opinion (thats 2 years old :skull:) though. Try and remain constructive in the future!

2 Likes

The devforum is awful when it comes to this. It’s incredibly easy to accidentally necro-post because of how dates are shown (it’s 1 character to differentiate between September 12th and September 2012). I myself made this mistake- I thought this post was made recently.

Thank you! It means a lot to me.

2 Likes