[Auto Migration enabled] New system for storing Physics Geometry for Part Operations and Mesh Parts released!

@devpalms @SoFlyyDinero
My update is strictly for collision data for these objects. It has nothing to do with rendering fidelity. You may wish to start a separate thread, because an LOD system for MeshParts and CSGs was recently released.

1 Like

so it is LOD based I assumed that at first but I wasn’t sure, thank you for clearing that up

If you tag me in the separate thread, I can get the people who work on rendering LOD to take a look at it.

Fix in pipeline. Will re-enable everything 5/23.

I do crash too, everytime I try to import a FBX file, it’s really annoying…
Did anyone find a fix for this?

I still crash when I try to import meshes, what do I do?

Places seem to take a lot longer to load as well, this is just a baseplate…

Do you have an FBX you are willing to PM me that I can take a look at?

@Khanovich this is affecting meshes in our game that were uploaded forever ago. It seems to be affecting our existing meshes at random.

1 Like

In what way? Were these levels opened in Studio during the time window?

the mesh on the right (selected) is not showing its mesh geometry. Even though it is set to “Default” collision fidelity

the mesh on the left had the same issue until it was switched to Box and then back to Default

it is now showing its mesh geometry and functioning properly

https://gyazo.com/ec9ced574d114e49a8a7be4d4cf27817

lots of meshes are affected that were uploaded forever ago

https://gyazo.com/a700e78bca3e08f82428afb083efa7b6

the place ID for our internal place is 2061558182. Using the show mesh geometry feature of studio you can quickly see which meshes are broken by those that are being rendered normally instead of showing their mesh geometry

Most of the meshes that are affected by this were completely untouched during the window you specified. As this is our internal place, we are almost constantly working in it.

1 Like

PMing you instead. I think this is related in the sense that the old pipeline caused this, but I don’t think this is due to the 3 hour window that the feature was on.

Unsure if this is related but recently uploading meshparts has been yielding unusable collisions. I cross referenced an asset that had old collision data (left) and new collision data (right) to see the difference, while they were previously not perfect, they were usable, but now it forms giant masses of geometry, and arbitrary holes too (pictured in rock images). I am not doing anything hacky as far as I know, I would love some help since currently I cannot upload usable assets, especially for terrain.

6 Likes

Same for me, starting from May 11 all of my new meshes have broken collisions

1 Like

Collision geometry generation has always been a bit spotty for accuracy. We are discussing some options, but nothing short term at this time.

As a bump, I’ve re-enabled the new pipeline.

2 Likes

Holy! I felt an immediate performance boost on our game which is full of meshes. First time my PC has actually ran 50-60 fps on roblox for our game. Please keep it enabled.

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked before. Would this make physics-heavy games run faster, such as brickbattles? Or does it only improve loading times?

Can you verify that the meshes don’t collide like a box?

Its not a box collision.

Its a mine generation game so all our meshes are packed into one place.

My change should speed up loading, not performance yet. Hmmm

Well the loading is different this is maybe why, this isn’t the only meshes in the game but in several areas. I think it finished loading them sooner perhaps which cause the performance boost for me cause my internet isn’t the best. Sometimes parts are still popping in loading, we dont use streaming enabled.