[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

Excellent feature! I can definitely imagine a few use cases for this. Especially that event! Referrals, required multiplayer games, special events.

Can’t wait to try it out in my next game.

3 Likes

Exciting feature!

One but i’ve noticed a bug which is that if you invite someone in the GUI that is promoted from the Server you can invite them again from the GUI prompted from the Client

3 Likes

Expanding on from that it would be pretty neat if we could have something along :PromptGroupInvite(player,groupID) of which would prompt something similar to the product purchase prompt - but instead ask if a player wants to join a group. There’s an increasing amount of games that reward players somehow by being in the group, a simple 500 points extra a day or some exclusive content.

21 Likes

In the demo place linked, it seems that inviting from the new GUI works, but using the esc menu invite menu doesn’t cause an alert to appear.

2 Likes

This is a really great feature and I have some great ideas of what I want to use this for, but it would be really cool if we could target a specific users friend with an invite (requiring player confirmation).

2 Likes

How can I check if the invitation was accepted by a User?

This is useful but we can’t make a referal system at this current state can we? Not with this current API.

I really wonder why it wasn’t added, was it neglected?

I was excited at first but very disappointed after, the feature falls short on itself, You know what we want but it’s not delivered.

Either way I expect that we get improvements for this feature as it’s just released but also other upcoming features.

(I hope this isn’t seen as a hateful comment, all I want is Roblox to improve greatly and us Developers to be satisfied)

10 Likes

This is a wonderfully powerful feature. Nice work!

3 Likes

That’s not supported atm.

You should be able to emulate something relatively close though by saving invitees along with the jobId of the server, and then, using (GetPlayerPlaceInstance & TeleportToPlaceInstance) or similar, prompt the invitee to rejoin the particular server the invite was sent from once they enter the game.

2 Likes

I see but don’t you agree that we shouldn’t have to go through all the hassle and extra work just to make something that they should have made?

Since he said “atm” I guess we’ll see improvements.

3 Likes

Nice! All we need now is message service!

10 Likes

If a game is set to 1-player servers, will this make them stuck in a “Server full” scenario? Does it try to make them join the friend automatically or just the game in general?
I’ve read it over, but it isn’t clear to me, maybe I missed it.

6 Likes

has a lot of promise and i see lots of ways i could use this, very cool!

4 Likes

It would be nice if we could provide a message to be sent instead of the default message (with filtering).

Come 1v1 me in Super Awesome Game!

7 Likes

I really like this update. A suggestion that I think should be added is if you can add your own custom message. It would be nice adding this instead of “Come join me in… (Game)”
This is just a suggestion :o

6 Likes

This seems like an amazing new addition! Can’t wait to give it a try. :slight_smile:
Also, @be_nj, your announcement is just too amazing. Very enthusiastic! :+1:

2 Likes

This is great. I also support the idea of allowing this to be applied to specific places within a universe.

3 Likes

Does it require pcall()?

2 Likes

All web calls are prone to failure, as such should have error handling implemented around them.

2 Likes

This is already being heavily abused. Games are offering redeemables and rewards for spamming friends to join your game - it’s like those rewardable mobile ads but instead of it being targeted at you, it’s your entire friendslist. This is going to be very common, very soon - and will eventually become a requirement if you want your game to compete for growth.

18 Likes

This was my concern. @be_nj, Is there no cool down on invites? Players are able to repeatedly invite their friends as much as they want, simply by reopening the menu.

Shall we file a bug report/feature request for this?

14 Likes