Do collisions affect framerate?

Just a quick question, do part collisions affect framerate?

In a game I am building there are a good number of inaccessible areas and some friends have suggested to make them nocollide since players obviously won’t be in those areas.
If it does help FPS, by how noticeable is it?

The part count in the game is around 25k, and I’m facing a uniquely difficult scenario of optimization. The type of game meant to be played is best played on high framerates and I’ve already done all I can around the map to get rid of unnecessary areas or convert groups of parts into meshparts. I’m at the point in optimizing in which more meshparts would only make more problems and worsen frames.

2 Likes

No, collisions don’t affect performance of the game.

2 Likes

If players interact with anything having cancollide/anything interacts with it, then depending on it, it will effect performance.

However, if nothing interacts with it, I dont believe it will effect performance? However, usually if its parts players shouldnt/will never access, I usually ensure that they are cancollide false just incase a player does somehow get in there or something goes on.

Simplifying collisions will help though since the engine needs to calculate that so what I said before might all be wrong. Basically, more complex collisions = more performance needed.

Make them box and it should be optimized, make it no collisions and you basically taken off some stress.

2 Likes