Do I really need that much money to start a SCPF?

Well, I want to make my own SCPF, and I already read some posts talking about how many money you must spend to have a good SCPF.

So this is the situation. Im doing my own SCPF, I don’t have more than 2.5k R$ of budget, I don’t have a development team…

With this information you could think that I can’t do anything good, there is a way of doing an SCPF with low budget and no helpers?

I think that yes, you only need good ideas and to know how to make them real. My idea is to make an SCPF that lets the newcomers to learn and become roleplayers, even if they don’t know anything about SCPs. By doing this you can make the game playable and funny for all type of players, and not only SCP fans.

Do you think that this could work?

6 Likes

It all depends who is on your development team. If you go ahead and attempt to hire well known and extremely talented people, of course they will charge quite a hefty amount.

However, if you go for a smaller team, you could negotiate with them and give a % off of game earnings. If the game makes no earnings, and you haven’t paid your development team, that’s when you’ll need to have some back-up payment for them.

Is it good to do an SCPF with a low budget?

I guess it depends on your experience. Have you done something similar to this? If not then, this will be quite a tough project for you but as long as you see progress coming in, I don’t see a problem about making it without a team.

3 Likes

I think too many people have the idea that you need a budget to make a game.
If you have developers but can’t afford to pay them at the moment, create an agreement that each person gets a certain percent of the future revenue.

You also don’t need to sponsor or advertise, sometimes getting friends to play for a few minutes helps the game get discovered in algorithms.

My game No Scope Sniping started off as something that I never advertised or sponsored, but one night tons of people started to play it. It now has 15.2M+ visits. It goes to show you don’t need money to kickstart your project!

You should be fine as long as you and your team can get the job done and convince players to stay and play your game, rather than others.

3 Likes

I don’t think a big budget is really necessary. If you can’t afford to hire developers, this entire forum is a free resource for you to learn how to develop. The hardest part about group games is getting a community going

1 Like

If you want quick success, you need robux. You can choose to play the long game and you may have success.

Well, that concept is very important to understand my ideas and game design.

I’m not a veteran of the SCPFs, only 1 year playing them, but I already know many disturbing things from them…

FriendlyFire enabled, Anyone can abuse anyone, a 80% of the SCPs doesn’t work or they only kill you instead of EXPENSIVE and abusive Gamepasses (I’ve seen 20k R$ things)…

That type of things (and many others) are the things that I want to avoid, to provide a cool, good and funny environment to play for everyone.

I prefer to work and spend time in making quality systems instead of just writing rules that the 99% of the people won’t follow.

Obviously not all the games are like this, but the majority of them yes…

Also I don’t want to offend any developer of these games, it is just my opinion of their games

1 Like

Hey, I have another response here! Sorry for the bump, but I though I would share some more thoughts.
I realize that you say “SCPF,” so I’m assuming you mean an entire facility.

Even if you don’t use money to support the game, you need to realize that entire facilities take time, and time is very important.

If you want to do SCP games, I would recommend doing a short experience/demonstration with just one weird or interesting SCP.

If you need examples, here are some that you can try out: