Does lots of the same mesh lag the game?

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if having lots of the exact same mesh (same dimensions, material, size etc) would cause any performance issues.
I know that it shouldn’t affect memory, however performance?

thousands of the same meshe may be used, I’m not sure.

I’ve tried looking through things but I’ve not found anything, however I’m quite blind so…

Thanks

2 Likes

No what lags the game is the amount of parts you can use how many of those meshes you want just dont go overboard like 10k

1 Like

Thanks, just wanted to clear something up.

Also, these will all be non-collidable and set to box collision fidelity.

This is a really low number for many cases.

The number of instanced meshes are pretty reliant on the complexity of the mesh. You’re probably fine for quite a lot, but if you find that you’re copying a mesh a lot of times, be sure to test your game regularly.

We’d be able to suggest more ideas if we saw a few pictures of what you’re doing too.

6 Likes

Basically these little supporters would be going all the way along tracks on a map for example.

I’ve not really worked with meshes much but I’m trying to optimise as much as I can while maintaining decent quality.

Ah I see. Three follow up questions:

1. Are the rail segments Parts, or Meshes as well?

2. Can you simplify the bracket thing any further?

3. If the brackets are just there for visuals, can you set the RenderFidelity of the mesh to Automatic or Performance?

1 Like

The rails are meshes.

What do you mean by the brackets? The 3rd rail?

Hopefully, this should sum it up. (m = mesh, p = part)

When I say bracket, I mean the supporter things, the things you will be copying a lot. You don’t have an issue with the rail themselves, correct? Just the supports.

1 Like

Just the supporter things, since I’ll be copying them a lot.

I’ve tried simplifying them as much as I could already.
They are there for visuals, and I am able to set the renderfidelity to performance.

With Render fidelity set to Performance, that’s a good help.

Is spreading the supporters out also an option? Like instead of having one every six units, move to having one every eight units.

Additionally, consider if the player is moving quickly around or otherwise won’t spend much time seeing these supports at all - remember to prioritize areas and assets that players will actually see, so if these supports aren’t visible often, or the player is moving too quickly to see any detail anyways, consider just replacing them with a single Part.

3 Likes

I’ll take this into consideration. Thanks for your help.

Is it just me or has the performance option for render fidelity disappeared?
Automatic and precise only show up now…

Automatic is fine too. I’m unsure where Performance is but just use Automatic.

2 Likes