Does this building suck?

making a city game called cash out with a low poly cartoonish aesthetic. I posted this on a roblox modelling discord and it seems to not be well received. I really like the building and cant see what the problem is? When i posted it- it was uncolored, and ive spent about 35 seconds on a simple color pass. but im just looking for feedback as to why people dont like this building.

Note this is just a filler building in the city, its not supposed to be anything specific just a bunch of shapes and windows i slapped together. resembles an office space.

20 Likes

interesting style choice. Lots of expression with few parts.

3 Likes

Most likely it’s just not their preference. I don’t think people should judge so harshly based on that alone. I like it, it definitely gives off cartoon vibes.

4 Likes

It does indeed have a low-poly, cartoonish theme to it. The simplicity makes it aesthetically pleasing while not adding much detail. I really like the feel it brings.

p.s Since it was a modeling server, I’m guessing they have high expectations (more realistic = better, etc.). If this is the case, it would explain the responses you received :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks great for a low-poly game!

3 Likes

I think it looks great, it really depends on the theme or the overall vibe you’re aiming for!

2 Likes

It looks so cool! The reason that it is not well received is because that modeling server has higher expectations (Like @incognitobot_rblx said, the members think more realism = better)

3 Likes

I think it looks great! I love that style!

2 Likes

I like the colours and simplicity, good work.

2 Likes

it actually throws off cartoonish style so you did a great job! :+1:

3 Likes

From your point, I think he can add some selection box to parts to make it more cartonny builds. Will it be better? I don’t know.

2 Likes

Flat styles usually suck but… you did really good! Reminds me of jailbreak’s style (in a good way). The colour palette and lighting is really well done, and fits the atmosphere.

The people most likely have higher expectations since, based on what you said, the server isn’t for all roles, and just modelling. If you asked for feedback in a different server that has channels for each role (scripting, composing, etc), you would probably get less hate on it.

Again, great job!

2 Likes

I think it gets the job done, and beautifully so!

1 Like

Wow, I was pretty nervous because this is the first building in my city and as such it would determine alot of the artistic choices i make in the future. But i feel allot better now, thanks for all your support and feedback.

This is the final color pass and finishing details.

i decided to go with more poppy colors since i feel like kids like brighter more bold pieces. depending on what the city around it looks like, might be a bad choice but ill adjust accordingly.

7 Likes

Great thinking! It still looks good, though I would prefer the darker colours if it was more realistic

2 Likes

You don’t have to, put them in a model and it’ll work with more then 31.

1 Like

Probably not a good idea though because it will lag really bad

1 Like

It won’t, in my experience. The highlight will actually combine the other highlights (eg. if you line them up with your camera), acting like a single one.

2 Likes

It looks pretty nice!

It might be because you didn’t use any colour on the first image
It looks really cool though!

1 Like

i can tell you are going for the low poly style, it looks TOO low poly though, i think you should put some small textures on the buildings to spice it up a bit, i like your colour scheme though.

3 Likes