Does this seem like an engine issue or just something I'm doing incorrectly?

Hi, so lately I’ve been really struggling working with Sounds. It seems like the range on them doesn’t work very well. Like, there isn’t any rolloff the further I walk away from it. It seems to remain a consistent volume then just randomly cuts off.

If anyone’s interested to see what I’m working with, here’s a place file:
SoundRangeRepro.rbxl (29.7 KB)

I’m desperately trying to figure this out. I have no clue if this could potentially be an engine issue, or if I’m just not using the properties correctly. Ideally, I want the sound playing from the gray circle brick to have a smooth rolloff the further away the player is to it. But that’s totally not happening at the moment.

If you start at the position of the gray circle, then walk in all 4 directions from it, you should notice the sound’s volume remains consistent, even more so when walking in certain directions over others. (Walking to the right from it was the worst for me.)

Any help appreciated, thanks.

4 Likes

I have tested it and it does work for me, I’d like to note that the sound most be in a part where you want the origin of it to be. And there is a property in sounds called RollOffMode, here is some more information:

Hope this helps! Happy holidays! :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ve tinkered around with the properties, but nothing has worked for me. Like, when I’ve tested it out it never seems to transition from loud to quiet for me :confused:

2 Likes

Strange, from when I tested the sound went quieter but never fully off, it did however change according to my direction.

3 Likes

Do you think this could be a client sided issue with Studio? I’m literally standing on top of the circle and it’s so quiet. I move to the right and it gets louder. This is obviously taking into account the position of the camera, but I’ve never seen it act so weird before.

I’m surprised it was working so well for you :confused:

1 Like

The audio volume is based off of the camera position, so if your character is right next to the part playing the song and your camera is far away it will sound distant.

4 Likes

I literally have 0 idea how to fix that for my game, which uses a top-down camera system. I get real close to the part playing the sound, and it’s quiet. I move far away from it, and it gets louder than the volume it was at when I was on top of the part playing the sound.

This is crazy hard to work with, seems impossible actually.

any ideas??

Only thing I can think of is to make a hacky magnitude check that runs every frame on every sound emitting part to update their properties based on how close the character is to the part, but this could get expensive because there’s loads of sounds that need to play depending on how large a certain stage is.

1 Like

Maybe move the sound playing part above to the same level as the camera.

3 Likes

That’s a really clever idea, although I’m not sure how I’d do that because there are so many sounds in the game that are all in very different locations.

1 Like

So you have one part that is playing all of the sound effects using one sound asset? If so, make all of the parts in the locations at the same lever as the camera in the spots where you want the sound located and chop up the audio, if that is too expensive then I’d suggest maybe using premade sound assets or maybe trying to use the same sound asset but pausing and playing on all the parts (I am not sure if this is possible or not).

2 Likes

Did this work for you? Just wondering.

1 Like

I didn’t try yet. This is especially frustrating because I believe all the sounds I mapped on each level were working fine prior to the update on Sound objects.

1 Like

I would recommend looking into GetListener() and SetListener().

I believe you can do something like:

-- LocalScript --
local HumanoidRootPart = Instance.new("Part") --This should equal the RootPart of the local player's character
game:GetService("SoundService"):SetListener(Enum.ListenerType.ObjectPosition, HumanoidRootPart)

This should be useful for top down games. Your issue sounds like it could be an engine bug though.

1 Like

I appreciate that, that should eliminate the camera being weird.

However, this is definitely an engine bug. I’m playing around with this, and if I make any sudden movements in one direction it gets insanely quiet. Versus moving in other directions, it remains very loud.

Very frustrated at this point. No idea if this is a local sided problem or if it’s a global issue with sound objects. Roblox has shut the doors on seeking out support, disabling the ability to post in engine bugs or whatever else.

My options are limited at this point. There’s legit nothing I can do other than burning out frustration from the fact I’ve poured into a game for months which is now screwed over by their crap update for sound objects and now I can’t freaking get any support from the engineers regarding this issue. Great.

Goes to show you how much Roblox cares about their developers

1 Like

The sound you’re using has its RollOffMode set to Inverse. When a sound is using inverse roll off, RollOffMaxDistance doesn’t affect attenuation, or how quiet the sound gets near the max distance, it just cuts off immediately

You can fix this by setting your RollOffMaxDistance to something high (like 10000) or by using Linear rolloff (isn’t as realistic but might be more desirable, idk)

2 Likes