Does wasting time count as scamming?

Heyo :slight_smile:
I recently finished building a low poly map for someone on the devfourms, It took 3 days and I was constantly keeping in contact with the client. I’d show him screenshots of it and he’d constantly say that it was good. When I showed him the finished product, he insisted that he should be able to see the map in roblox, so I published the game and he was happy with it and he said that he’d pay in a day when group funds come in. Well, that day has passed and now he’s blocked me. I never handed him over any assets, but I do have a fear that he may have somehow exploited and stolen the map while I was showing it to him.
so here are my questions:

1. When should you expect payment? (e.g: before the commission, in between, or at the end)
  2. Is this considered scamming as I never handed the asset over to him?
  3. What can I do to prevent situations like these?
13 Likes

He probably didn’t steal any assets. Half the people are roblox are 8+ so I wouldn’t worry much. As long as you didn’t share the place to him you’re good. And when you finish don’t share just make it public or share screen shots. They know you have the game when you have showed them so get payment once you have proof that you built it. In a situation like this, if you do get scammed, obviously report them. They aren’t over roblox lol, an admin should be able to take down the game they stole. That’s all I know hope that helpz

3 Likes

yeah, luckily I didn’t share the place with him, but I did make it public. I guess it’s just frustrating when you spend time and effort into creating something, only for the client to nope you :<

3 Likes

Well, It’s pretty common for this to happen whenever doing commissions for people here on roblox considering a lot of the audience now is 13+ and don’t have much of anything else to do currently. However, there’s pretty much no chance your game was stolen by your client as current exploits have been patched to stop from game copying. I do suggest next time when doing a commission, you should actually check if the client has the funds and has a reputable background or any background at all.

No, it was not considering scamming because you didn’t hand over the asset to the client, you were the one who pretty much got scammed in this situation because of how much time and effort you put into creating the asset for the client. You should go about payments in a timely manner instead from newer people that can’t provide you any sort of background at all, so in between the commission or before would be a good to stop newer users from scamming in a way. That should help with newer users from scamming you and wasting your time or attempting to take your assets without paying.

2 Likes

I doubt making a game public would do anything. He’ll have to either have access to Studio (in the game) or the models itself in his own place to profit anything.

3 Likes

I did do a background check and he has quite a few limiteds and groups, so I thought he’d be alright :<
He was using a different roblox account on the devfourm to the one he joined my game in tho
so that might have been an indicator :<
guess I’ll just have to be stricter with checks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You shouldn’t worry about what items or groups a user has, that doesn’t help or provide any sort of proof that they have any legitimacy. Limiteds could easily be bought with parents money, off a black market site, or from trading. So, it would be better to check if a client has the funds and will be able to pay you when your finished with your asset for the client.

2 Likes

what would be the best way to do that?

2 Likes

You should ask a user for proof of funds beforehand via photo or video proof. Now, photos can be easily faked and that wouldn’t be the most efficient way to see if the user actually has the funds to pay. So, it might be best to ask a user for video proof that they have the set amount of funds you’re asking for with every commission you do to prevent yourself from getting scammed in the future.

3 Likes

Hey,

You’re pretty lucky that you didn’t hand over the game yet.

ALWAYS remember that you’re the service. He’s the costumer. He first pays you then you give him the map. It’s like walking into a shop taking snacks and paying in 3 days. Obviously that not how it works. You’re the service and you choose that the payment should happen before the map is handed over.

This is important because there are a lot of scammers and if you know you’re not a scammer it should work easily. A good idea is to make a server where consumers can give their thoughts about your services so that people know you’re not a scammer.

I hope his helped you.

• Cheerful
6 Likes

I experienced the same thing… They joined the game and immidately stole the model with exploits, then they blocked me as you can think. I hope it wasn’t the case your you.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this happened. Usually, when I pay I pay half upfront so they think
I am legit and the half after they completed then I get my assets

2 Likes

Yeah, if you share the game in studio he would be able to take it.

2 Likes

The best way to proof the R of the person is a video, the user proof the robux in a video, he has to refresh the roblox page 3 times, the R amount should be the same, photos can be easily edited, videos can be edited, but is more dificult.

2 Likes

Why not save the game file in your pc files first. Then delete the entire map. Publish it. And then reload the map with the saved file and tell him that he has seen it and ask him to pay you now. But this might be risky as he might report you.

2 Likes

But scams can go either way. I can promise to make a map for 20k, and once they pay me I just block them.

2 Likes

You can get like %5 of the payment before you start so that you understand that they will not scam you.

No it isn’t a scam because you never gave anything

You can sign a contract

2 Likes

Perhaps look into escrow services in the future, but that is besides the point.

It doesn’t seem like you are quite sure whether or not they exploited the map, so I guess we can’t say for certain if there was any sort of scam involved. They did not pay you for your services and you think you never gave them anything.

2 Likes

i dont do commission, but i think you should ask for a portion before, i dont think it counts as scamming, since nothing was robbed, just time and to prevent situations you should ask for a payment before/during the comission. hope it helps and also, im a builder that dont make commissions, any idea of how i can start?

2 Likes

I am pretty sure this would not go in building support.

1 Like