Downgrade Plugin:StartDecalDrag to Permission Level 4

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create a system that properly inserts decals / textures, and as such, I have to currently rely on setting the face based on a button in the interface, instead of simply being able to drag a decal onto a part. With this being accessible by Plugin, it would make it so much easier to create a proper texture or decal placement system in my plugin.

Expected behavior:

What I get:

6 Likes

Too hard is a bit of an exaggeration IMO. You can trivially implement this in Lua by raycasting, applying the decal to the hit part, and identifying the selected face with the raycast’s hit surface normal.

6 Likes

Well, yes, but I’d rather use an already established function that does what I need it to. There’s somethings hooked into StartDecalDrag() that could be difficult to code using raycast.

I.e. StartDecalDrag() disconnects dragging a texture / decal when you click anywhere in the explorer, disconnects dragging when clicking on a locked part, or clicking on the skybox, etc.

Plus, doing Plugin:StartDecalDrag(texture) is a lot better than having 5 or more extra functions to handle everything that StartDecalDrag() does already in my opinion.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bump posts

1 Like

Bumping this again as it’s still a legitimate bottleneck in developing my plugin, Redshift Arena SDK. This would also serve as a bottleneck for pretty much any other plugin that would be focused around, or have the tools to place textures / decals.

Would love to see this be usable in plugins at some point!

Bumping once again - there’s some legitimate use cases that can’t be fulfilled currently, due to StartDecalDrag being locked.

1 Like