Feedback for my cutscene

Hi! I recently made a cutscene for the introduction of my game. This sets up the first impression for players so I’ve spent a reasonable amount of time working on this. I was wondering what do you guys like/dislike about the cutscene, and is there anything you would do differently or improve?

All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

2 Likes

I like all the movement and activity, but maybe add an option to skip it because it is a bit on the longer side.

1 Like

The cutscene only ever appears for the first time you play, I’ll consider a skip option though.

I think it’s great, but I’d like to suggest a few things:

• Have a skip button either mid-cutscene or at the beginning, because as @cm_an said, it is a bit long.
  • Incorporate something such as a “fading” effect after the cutscene rather than just having the camera cut to the player. I would recommend a “fade to white” effect.
3 Likes

I’ll be having a white fade effect the same as the one when you hit Play here, I’ll hopefully get round to setting that up tomorrow.

Appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

:+1: im glad to help!

A little long, but innovative nonetheless. Not much to say other than what’s already been said. Good work.

1 Like

I found it to be amazing, it can be perfect if you preload the necessary assets for it, but please don’t hold us for anything else! After the cutscene is done, a transition to the actual game’s camera would be nice.

2 Likes

With the choice of music, I was convinced someone was going to be murdered before everything was said and done. Also, was the bacon hair staring out the back of the bus relevant to the game, or did it just seem like the focal point for a while because the camera was centering on your player, and the bus was just in the way?

Overall, it was entertaining. There was enough going on that I didn’t get bored, but I would second the notion to only make it play on first visit. I think the second time watching it, I’d just want to skip past.

Edit:

Actually, let me clarify my understanding. Is this game going to be a town-and-city type of game where you get a job, have a home, etc? Seeing all the families and “stages of life” walking around led me to believe that.

You have an interesting perspective, but far from I’m afraid :happy3:

The soundtrack is called Rain Boy by Really Slow Motion which we featured in our first video in The Last Guest Series. This was one of the most memorable soundtracks from the series hence the appearance in the opening of the game. The Bacon Kid towards the end of the cutscene represents the young ‘Bacon’ generation that now lives with ‘Guests’ now that the conflict is over.

This only ever plays the first time you join the game so that should not be a problem, assuming players only use one account.

The game is essentially a combination of adventure, action and roleplay. Instead of ‘working’ to earn cash/exp at the moment, players can take part in story-related ‘minigames’ and ‘quests’. This will become more obvious after the ‘Mega update’.

I love it! It’s smooth and interesting but seems a bit too long, maybe add a skip feature or make it shorter.

1 Like

Note that i’m rating the Intro as a Finished product, therefore i will most likely talk about obvious missing or weird elements

(Review based on 3 replays)

My first impression on it was rather surprising, but still pretty neutral about it overall, the fact that you’re instantly into the cutscene is quite a spooky experience, you should add frames with Tweens or a progressive opacity to introduce the scenery more smoothly and nicely, so the players are eventually ready to focus on what’s coming.

Things are quite lively as there are about 4 different events happening (NPC Actions) all around the map, and they are clearly visible, therefore it is quite well done to me as it assist the player to guess the current situation very easily.

Main problem is probably the atmosphere you set up, “Memorable soundtracks from the series”, Quite a mistake to do, you add assets according to the current theme, this isn’t a horror nor dramaic game (atleast not right now) this music do not suit the cutscene at all, Moreover the camera is slowly zooming to the Bus and the focus would be on the Bacon with the classic smile, you inconsciously made a unpleasant situation despite the very happy maps/characters all over the intro. with all these elements together, it became very confusing.

The reason why the others reviewers felt this was “Slow/Boring/Long” would be the camera’s activity and the very few explaination the whole start have, it was done on purpose, but at best, you could add a few animated texts such as

• City Name
  • Date (ex : Thusday December)
  • Progression (ex : Chapter 1 - The Beginning)

What i meant by “camera’s activity” is how idle it is, to the point it feels quite odd and the player would probably want to wander around a little bit, therefore i suggest that you eventually add 1 or 2 pretty short focus (without tweens, direct positions like TVs) on the NPC’s activity to make it much more clear and obvious, such as the Door opening with the kids going out, i’m pretty sure there would be a few players who would miss this.

Otherwise, it seems pretty solid visually, and i don’t think you would ever need to add a “Skip” if it entertain people a little more.

3 Likes

Appreciate the tips Kenami, I’ll consider some of these for the final product :+1:

Sorry for being inprecise, basically i was just talking about a black frame covering the whole screen.