[feedback] gfx improvement

Hi all,
I just wanted to see how the community would input into my “attempt” in GFX!
I have been doing GFX for around 6 months, but it’s not “gradually” improving than I thought it would!

I have asked numerous GFX artists out there and reached out to them on discord, but none of em really helped me improve.

Here is my past work on a doc, don’t worry this link is for “sharing.”
Here, it is. portfolio - Google Docs

If any GFX artist out there, is generous enough to help me fix my logos and gfx, that would be great!

You can reach me out on discord, c0nzx#0001
Wish me luck! Thanks for everything!

For doing graphic designing for 6 months, I find your gfx mainly lacking lighting and posing I think that’s what’s missing on your graphic some of them seem very unfocused that it’s hard to see what’s going on what software you use to create your graphics?

A few of the graphics feature dull lighting this is something you should work on to improve the quality of your graphics adding HDRIs will give that realistic approach it seems most of your graphics weren’t created in a software?

Usually when asking for help, tips, feedback something I find helpful is to message graphic artist that are experienced in this type of artwork or that are willing to provide you with some helpful information whether it be tips, tutorials, feedback criticism, ect.

I’m no graphic designer, so take that with a grain of salt. The forum has a lot of resources and tutorials that’ll help you along the way into improving your skills find developers that inspire you.

Thank you so much, I did make a new one today! Hope this one is better?
Render Roblox

2 Likes

Decent start.

Practicing is a good way to improve the lighting is good, but the background seems a little blurry you should place a background that’s more focused that’ll give the character a more sunset feel the lighting approach you’re going is good but it doesn’t match the background since it’s unfocused and a little weird.

Is this being edited in a editing software? Did you use a 3D software you can essentially do anything in the scene, why not placed other characters that look like they’re interacting with each other to make the scene pop more?

If you took out the background and replaced it with something more attractive it’ll give the render a more appealing look, that’s the main thing that needs to be fixed as it’s too blurry, working on your posing and scene, maybe throw 2 or 3 characters, why not make them sitting on a mountain - road staring down at the sunset?

Thanks for the feedback, will do! Wow, your a composer, and you know a lot. Thanks!

1 Like

Like jord said, you really lacking for 6 months. This is getting really common for alot of gfx people, you need to learn your program before jumping in. Assuming you use blender heres a tutorial watch the full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1qEhBSfq4&list=PLa1F2ddGya_-UvuAqHAksYnB0qL9yWDO6

After that, watch this so you know how to use a roblox rig (also you can make your own too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqbTPSK_G-4

So the thing here is you want to learn the basic with that blender fundamentals video (not the rig one), then you want to search different essential parts in rendering; Understanding: Composition, Lighting, Modeling, Rigging, Texturing, PBR. Simulations, Nodes, UV Unwrapping good for starting (Look on youtube for these types of videos)

Not sure what to guess for your editing software but basicall you can apply what I said above for whatever editing server you use, but here is a basic overview site on graphic design: Free Beginning Graphic Design Tutorial at GCFGlobal

Hope you the best.

Thank you so much for opinions, and criticism. This will help me so much!

It’s not bad but not too great either, I’ll just go straight to the criticism now since empty compliments won’t help you at all.

• For the 3d models itself, I don’t have anything to say about it other than the face texture. The face texture shouldn’t have any shade on it, don’t throw any plastic or glossy material on it because it makes the character feel fake. I’m pretty sure you could do some node stuff to avoid light affecting the face texture on the model, look up a blender tutorial because It would be pretty rough explaining it here. Here’s what you should’ve done, notice how the face isn’t glossy at all even when there’s an extremely bright light source in front of it, it makes the expression more visible:
  • For the lighting, it’s barely noticeable. Don’t make the lighting too bright or too dark, you need to show the main focus of your render. The first image for example, it looks really dark compared to the bright background, you need to make the lighting focus on what you want the people to look at, here’s a good example of what you should’ve done:

-and don’t make the lighting too subtle when it’s not necessary to the scene, the last 2 picture from the link for example, extreme contrast isn’t necessary to the scene when there isn’t any subtle light source at all. It makes the model look like it’s screenshotted from a different scene and then plastered onto an image. Here’s what you should’ve done instead, notice that there isn’t any extremely bright or dark section on the character, everything is overall just consistent while still looking bright:
  • For the images and text/fonts you used there, you really need to improve it. The text on the ‘test’ image on your link looks great, but other than that it doesn’t look very good. You need to make it more distracting, don’t put it in front of an object with a half transparent effect, don’t use a black plain text with a wacky font on it, and don’t make it too small.
    Here’s an example I took from google, you can really see how the bold, capital, and spaced out letters gives off a serious and dark tone, when in reality it’s just a normal text with some edgy font on it. You just need to do a lil bit of adjustment to make people like me describe it like it’s from the renaissance:

Personally, the landscape ones are ugly. To elaborate, the lighting is off, poses are off, and there is no interaction with the characters and the backgrounds. Assuming that it is an image, seems so; you should definitely pick up creating your own landscapes. Great landscapes can drastically improve your renders

Thank you so much! Understood!

1 Like