Feedback on a high-efficiency voxel rigging and destruction engine

I was able to design a plugin that can take a simple segmented voxel model, and optimize it giving it a full rig with no input from the user other than knowing the root voxels. I then designed an engine module that allows studio to interface with the voxels, and subtract from even characters!!!

The motor6Ds are deleted in a very convoluted way Ive been working on, using two voxels on opposite points of the connected instances, (e.g. one voxel from the upper arm, one from the torso) and uses BFS (Breadth-First-Search) to check for any paths between them, upon finding none it breaks the motor and handles reconnected the separated voxels using WeldConstraints if it is still possible.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Below is footage recorded from a server-side version of my Engine + Rig setup! (Yes they can be used with humanoids and be animated / used as StarterCharacter!)

2 Likes

this is pretty epic cool swag but i have a couple questions:
is every voxel a part connected with weldconstraints?
if so, does it run good?

2 Likes

Looks amazing, keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Yes! The designed system was purposed to make it easy for me to make a rig out of just voxels separated into models, and it generates me a full humanoid rig from nothing but that using a lot of heuristics. It runs extremely well and having many enemies being destroyed within the same time span ends up having a very low level of effect on performance, and thats on the server!

1 Like

Here’s an example for you on a slightly larger scale!

well now im just excited to see what else you will do with this because roblox has almost no voxel games, good work :+1:

1 Like

That is really cool and satisfying, it really reminds me of tear down, was that your inspiration?

1 Like

Thank you very much! Playing teardown myself was definitely a stepping-stone to want to make this, but the biggest inspiration, and where the character you see me testing on is also inspired from, is “Clone Drone in the danger zone”!

1 Like