Feedback on how to make a great game icon

I’m currently working on a game that combines racing, PvP and a sense of comedy.
The game is called Bloxy Roads.
As the name suggests, it’s got Bloxy like when you get bloxxed and roads for like the map you’re racing on.

This is the icon. I feel like it needs an improvement. What should be included in the icon? Ad this

1 Like

It seems very basic and it looks like something from 1998. I suggest you change it, unless retro is the style you are going for, which in that case I would say add some outlines. It would look good if you use real GFX and make it 3D.

1 Like

If you create a 3D GFX type icon, it’d be more of a retro-modern twist considering its everything in your current icon but 3D and better lighting, overall more detail in my opinion :smiley:

There are multiple ways to make a good icon. What I’ll explain here is the method commonly promoted by people on DevForum.

The icon should conjure the idea of the game in the viewer’s mind before they’ve played it. This is not easy to do especially for unique concepts. We learn and recall information based on association. So when I look at the content of your icon, what do I associate with it?

The word Bloxy doesn’t mean anything to me aside from it being Roblox-related, which I already knew because it’s on the Roblox website. The word Roads combined with the image tells me that there are cars and roads, but many game genres have cars and roads, so I can’t really pinpoint what your game is.

You might have heard about the 30 second elevator pitch to explain yourself. Well, with icons you have maybe 1/2 of a second before the person clicks away. There’s no time to be subtle. It has to communicate clearly and instantly. Choose one large object to take up most of the icon space. It’s a tiny image. If I have to squint to make out the details, I won’t look at all.

And when your next icon is ready, post it in the DevForums like you did with this one, and we’ll continue to help you refine it.

The current game icon is quite boring, and wouldn’t bring my attention, I would recommend putting a render in the game icon, and creating a more interesting logo for the text.

If you did this it could look a lot nicer, and if you have a program like blender and photoshop you could do this on your own, if not it would not be too expensive, but that depends on who you hire.

you totally need more Improvement tho thats fine you know we all were beggeners at one point. I recomend you chaning this form 2D to 3D that would make it more attractive. the Icon looks really blend I don’t even know what it is about. you should make color differences and It looks like a very quick rushed draft to me. I reccomend you to look up some tutorials On 3D or 2D . Its really your choice.