Feedback on upcoming racing game

About the game

The game is a simple racing game where players can drive go karts around a race track.
In the race track, there are three types of invisible parts that players can go through:
  • Start/Finish Line
    This one is straightforward. Once a player crosses it, it determines if they hit the checkpoint and has corner cutted (more on that later).
  • Checkpoint
    Once a player has touched it, a BoolValue changes it’s value to true when the player touches the invisible part.
  • Corner Cut Detector
    If a player has touched it, it changes a BoolValue to true to show that the player has corner cutted, and cannot earn a lap. If a player doesn’t touch it, the BoolValue is false, and the player earns a lap.
Map of the track

KEY:
The light green part is the Start/Finish Line
The blue part is the checkpoint
Finally, the red parts are the corner cut detectors.

I am currently looking for feedback for my upcoming game, with a release date which is scheduled around December 2019 - January 2020.

I have a prototype of the game here.

3 Likes

Is the corner cut detection necessary? I feel like a better penalty to give the player is to make them slower while off the track (Mariokart). I wouldn’t want to have to turn back just because I went off course at the last second (Your current idea doesn’t seem to notify them at all yet).

I remember how annoying GTA racing was with the checkpoint race type because of how its hit box was some fixed size.

8 Likes

The whole corner cut detection, as said previously, is unnecessary. But moreover, the handling of the cars is pretty difficult (to put it lightly) and I would advise a lighter, better scripted vehicle system. Of course, I’m just going off assumptions since what you’ve linked is essentially a prototype.

Remember to find a way to differentiate your game from others without seeming too alien. After all, there are a multitude of racing games on Roblox. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So far I’d say the controlling for the karts is a bit jittery and off. Maybe stiffen how they steer so there is less chance of them bouncing the way they do. I would also either; A: Remove the corner cutting and just have players be slowed down on the grass or B: Develop a point/time system that tracks how fast their lap time was and deduct points/add time based on how much time they spent on the grass.

The game seems very early, but in terms of feedback of what was seen there I’d say the karts need better control and a new system for the Corner Cut Detector should go in place of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a good idea…

I’ll look into that. The reason that it mostly does that is because of the TurnSpeed of the go kart.

I’m going to be implementing this what you said here:

2 Likes

The track looks really good, it might need to be made a little bit bigger to ensure the game doesn’t go by very quickly, as that could lead to players not wanting to stay as long to finish out the game.

Good luck with your game. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I will make the track a little longer. Thanks for the feedback!

I’d recommend making it like FH4 (Forza Horizon 4) where instead of cut corner detectors it has a bunch of checkpoints and if you don’t pass one then it teleports you back on track and place the checkpoints near the starts and ends of the turns.

1 Like

You have 8 carts here:
You have 16 lanes?
You should change the amount of lanes you have or add more carts.

1 Like

This is for testing purposes. I will add the karts later, but, for now, I’ll keep it at eight karts.

1 Like

The karts drift a lot. Like, too much. You are basically bound to hit one of the corner cut detectors by accident because of the controls.

1 Like

The cars are very hard to use. I couldn’t drive at all. Maybe use another framework for your vehicles. Also, the game needs more than just racing.

1 Like

The corner cut detectors should be closer to all of the corner apexes. There are a few spots, most noticeably after pit exit and in the chicane, where you can cut the corner but the system won’t detect it because there is no detector there.

1 Like

Forgot to add this, but here is the Vehicle’s control properties.
(I am currently developing as of posting!)