Feedback/Opinions on my game?

Thanks! Planning to add animations very soon, just need to fix some collision problems and such to make sure it works fine and such.

Sound effects for movement sounds like a pretty cool idea, might plan to add some.

Currently trying to fix problems with lag rn, only method I have for now is using streaming enabled which doesn’t help that much but helps for now.

Gonna have to learn some more about scripting if i want to do an interactive tutorial but I may be able to do a little work around.

Thanks for the feedback though! This would be helpful :wink:

1 Like

My speed run game is supposed to add a little twist, decided to remove the fences from the tutorial since they didn’t fit with the smooth terrain that much.

The game is supposed to be based around multiple different worlds (Levels) that have a certain theme applied to them such as being in the desert, bacon land, candy land, etc.

Thanks for tellin me though, would make sure to fit with the theme more in certain worlds (levels).

Definitely gonna see what I could do for the loading time since its still a problem…

Planning to make sure the lobby is less confusing in the next update, also planning to add a hub world for different portal areas and difficulties.

Someone actually suggested arrows and since some people seem to be having problems with the direction, ill be sure to add arrows in the next update.

Planning to fix that by adding difficulty portals and such that can only be opened via beating entire level layouts, thanks for the suggestion tho :stuck_out_tongue:

After looking through the game a bit more, I’ve experienced a bug that spams quite alot. Can’t find the issue to why though? Is there a way I can trace back a bug since its just referring to my character?

Edit: Can’t find in studio since the bug never seems to happen in studio???

Bit off topic to the post, but I went ahead and gave it a favorite and follow. Curious on where your gonna take this project but also excited, I miss the old speed run games :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Kinda in a stuck situation, trying to recreate level one and make it better to speed run on.

Right now though, quite stuck on how I should go recreating it to make it better? (As seen from the picture.)
Should I instead just scrap the idea for now and make a completely new level to replace it or keep it?

With that level the only problem I remember is getting a bit confused on where to go at first because of the fence and invisible wall. Instead of making the entrance to the speed run here:
48%20pm
Maybe make it here:
03%20pm
So they can just run straight from the spawn into the main speed run part.That might help players know where to go. Also on a side note, The music playing from the radio on this level plays over the level music.(unsure if you’ve already fixed this or not)

Good luck on reconstructing this level .:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Thought I would go and give my two cents on this, it seems that the majority of the difficulty on later levels comes from a few different factors:

• Your double jump can be used accidentally if you hold down space for too long

This one is pretty major to me since there were times when I would try to double jump to safety and find that it wasn’t possible anymore. There isn’t any visual feedback on it either so it’s difficult to tell if you even used it or not, but it looks like you’ll be adding an animation for it soon. Might I suggest adding an additional particle and sound effect as well?

• Lack of precise control on more precise jumps

There were jumps in the later levels (and even a few early ones) where there would be a small jump to be made that was made all the more difficult to your supersonic speed. There was also the whole volcano level bit with small and hard to avoid objects everywhere and the Sans level with super easy to miss jumps because of the even more ludicrous speed. Not entirely sure how to go about solving this, perhaps a “walk” toggle that makes you run slightly slower?

• Ramps are weird

Yeah real descriptive, but this one might just be a personal thing, but the ramps found on some levels weren’t really explained at any point, they have a habit of throwing you wherever they please, and block your view of whatever is next. You don’t know that ramps will launch you until you step on them and use them once, but I think that this could be included in your first tutorial level. Ramps will also sometimes they’ll throw you just where you need to be and at other times not be even remotely close. It’s also really difficult with some to even know what’s going to be thrown at you until you make the jump, die, respawn, and do it all over again since ramps block your entire view. Give the players some time to react after going up a ramp or make sure the jump is easier to make.

• You can skip over the boost pad in the tutorial

I kind of did this accidentally my first time playing since the textures hadn’t loaded and I thought it was just an obstacle. The tutorial went by a lot more slowly as a result. Also like, walk-through walls were introduced and quickly yeeted out the nearest window. I didn’t see them pop up in any of the levels I played through, maybe they show up later?

Besides that, I really enjoyed some of the more unique themes to the levels like the throwback to early Roblox or the land of bacon hairs. The game has a lot of potential and is definitely fun when it all comes together! Looking forward to whatever improvements you make and I hope this wall of text helped even a little bit.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! The double jump is really a feature I would like to fix first as its used quite alot in the game. Tutorial is also being remade to fit with all the other levels since I wasn’t really thinking when I was making it :sweat:. Planning to also make speed more equal throughout the levels instead of 1 to 100 lol.

They are rage quitting and disliking.

Game is down for now as I’m working on it but fixed many problems such as double jump(added sounds and an animation), animations, obby design flaws, lobby, difficulty, and optimization problems. Was able to get 11k parts all the way down to a whoppin 1,760 parts surprisingly.

Reworked the game heavily and added some new things along with it while also making the double jump more effective and less glitchy.

Also many other additions into the game :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, as again, any feedback on the new update would be highly appreciated.

@Inserted_Cring3 mind checking it out again?

Isn’t Speed Run already an existing game? People might not like it that you’re copying the name and such, the idea/objective about the game is fine but you can rebrand it to something else.

1 Like

Well, the main premise of the game is to dash around multiple levels with different desing (hence multiverse) and with speed (speed run) so the game’s name fits very well with speed run multiverse. It also helps since the way the roblox’s search engine functions via finding keywords on a game. It would be very hard tho to find something similar in name but also works in the search function.

Your game is great so far! The only problem is that sometimes I press the space bar and I don’t double jump. Is there some sort of cooldown with the double jump?

EDIT - I just noticed another problem. Sometimes my character likes to climb into the ground which slows me down. I assume this is because the ground is on an angle.

1 Like

I played through the game and I know why people left shortly. It’s the very first jump. There’s multiple problems with it.

1. The boost pad is placed in a poor position. There’s zero “runway” and by the time the boost pad takes effect on the client there’s a good chance the sudden increase in velocity will have a player face first in a dirt wall. Also, it’s unsuitably located for other portals that aren’t on the same route.

2. The double jump is unreliable. Not only is it a problem once you actually get into the first portal, but the very first jump has little margin of error with a single jump, especially for mobile users. The three OOFs I had while inside the portal were from the double jump not firing off for various reasons. I’ve died nine times in the lobby.

3. Speaking of double jump, if there was a tutorial before the first portal, I’ve totally missed it. Players shouldn’t expect to use anything but default controls until the game tells them otherwise. That means no double jump unless they discover it by accident.

Players find it very frustrating when they haven’t even reached the first bit of gameplay and they’ve died multiple times.

Part of the unreliability with the double jump is the forced delay - I should be able to get that second vertical boost anytime I want. The other part has to do with map design. Steep upward slopes or even slight downward slopes can ruin jumps if you’re moving on them. It wastes a jump (you’re technically mid-air).

1 Like

A very annoying issue on roblox’s hand. Trying to fix it but having some problems doing so :stuck_out_tongue:

The double jump is more stable now but defintly needs to be fixed more. To fix it, jump first, then you can continue double jumping.

Boost pads positions are defintly a problem that I should fix, planning to move them back more or extend the runway out to provide a running place. Also planning to make the double jump as optional instead of being needed for the game. The double luckily has been more stable since before, (it was terrible). Planning to rework it though. The hubland was just built, planning to move the tutorial to hubland or just making the tutorial go first then hubland. Thanks for reporting the problems! Gonna make sure to put it on the bucket list.

Do plan on fixing some map design problems before showing the second world. It’s mostly the problem with the double jump that I would have to fix.

Oof, sorry for bumping it again.

Made many, many changes, fixed many issues, and even added new levels with a few new mechanics. Any opinions on the updates I’ve added? The menu button isn’t finished but would also be glad to get opinions on that aswell. Thanks for reading this!