First Experience at RDC

Hey, I’ve never been to RDC and I would love to maybe go either next year or the year after that. What I am wondering is what was everyone’s first experience at RDC like? Because I am both nervous and sort of excited that I could go since I’m a new member on the dev forums, and I’m not a real big dev. Yeah, so just wondering how did it go for everyone?

10 Likes

I’m probably not allowed to blatantly copy and paste a post (especially one this long), so here is a link to a previous post where I wrote up my great experience at RDC 2018 in Amsterdam. It’s definitely worth a read!

As a quick tl;dr, RDC is an amazing event to go to if possible. It took me loads of persuading my parents to the point where we only bought tickets about a fortnight before the conference. Having said that, it completely changed their points of view of Roblox: before they saw it as a weird game I wasted too much time on, but now they see it as a serious career. Thanks to this and the links I made with people while I was RDC, I’ve significantly grown as a creator, giving me the vital funds to buy new equipment and, more importantly, flights and tickets to this year’s RDC SF!

10 Likes

Whoa, thats awesome! I would love to go, but the only thing that makes me nervous is im sort of shy on the internet and meeting people in real life, so that would be hard for me, and I am also nervous that I might not get an invite because i’m a new member, and I would have to apply but they might be sold out. I have watched RDC vlogs and videos over the past few years and I think it would be good for me to come out of my hole and meet some new developers. Thanks for replying so quickly! :smile:

6 Likes

All I can really say is try not to worry about it! From my experience most attendees are a little scared of meeting each other in real life at RDC, as I was at my first RDC and even this year’s in the US. I honestly struggled with the party in my first year but I pushed myself to speak to someone and we stuck together for the rest of the evening – we then went around and talked to other people for the Icebreaker challenge and I met many more friends who I spent the rest of the weekend with :slight_smile:

Again, try not to worry about this too much! While form activity probably does help with invites, it’s certainly not necessary. In 2018, I wasn’t even in the forum at all and I still managed to attend through application. This year I was invited without having to apply, and at the time I was (and still am) a new member. I’ll be honest: this year’s RDC did seem to have much more of a focus on applications. In the past, everybody on the forum was invited but this is no longer the case – not even full members (or top contributors) were automatically invited. Again, I might be wrong, but membership status didn’t seem to have that much of an impact on whether or not you were invited.

In my opinion, the best things you can really do to get invited next year would be to contribute on the forum and start to work on a solid portfolio. In the end, you’ll probably have to apply for an invite, but there are plenty of tickets to go around and this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get one! Just try your best and make sure you have some sort of work to show in your application, whether it’s a full game you’ve worked on or just a portfolio of things you’ve done, it should work great.

Best of luck and I hope to see you next year!

5 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will definitely go start working on my portfolio! Hope to see you there too!

6 Likes

I shall therefore refer you to the following post:

6 Likes

Thanks! :smile: That article was interesting to read and helped me some.

6 Likes

My first RDC experience was amazing. I went to RDC EU 2018, and It was probably one of the best things I have done in my lifetime so far! While it can be stressfull to meet devs (In case you are new to making games like I was), it is still a huge amazing experience. I really reccomend to go. RDC made me lifelong friends (Such as @soulstyce and @RismyRoblox), and I am gratefull that I had the chance to go. If you ever get the chance, take it, because it will be an experience you will never forget. :smile:

6 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the story! I most likely will go if I get invited. :smile:

3 Likes

I hope I get to see you there then ; ) (That is if I am able to go 2020)

3 Likes

My first experience at RDC was the london event in 2017 and i’ll be honest, I was very nervous in the beginning. Networking with other developers you have never met before in person can make you feel nervous, however for me this feeling disappeared once I got to know a few of the others. Since my first time at RDC back in 2017, I have also attended the RDC EU events in 2018 & 2019.

In my opinion the experience was great, definitely one you should consider! I got to meet new friends and many of my Roblox friends that I have never met in person before. From my experiences everyone there was welcoming and friendly, it made me feel like I was at home :smiley:

Besides meeting developers, it’s also really nice that you can meet and speak to staff members who are continuously building new features on the platform to make our life as developers easier.

After my first experience, RDC has been an event I have looked forward to every year. I’d definitely recommend it :slight_smile:

4 Likes