First step of game design/making [What should I do? Where should I start?]

Hello fellow developers!:wave:t6:

I have not created my first game, yet, and I think it is the right time to get started.

The game I want to make is a cops and robbers style of game, my idea is like that of parkour tag, There is the regular game which kids play in real life, and it has a added function to it which is the parkour. Same with hide and seek extreme which is the same as parkour tag, kids play it outside, but there is the added function (character smaller than map, tagger has extra abilities) to make it more fun.

That’s what I want to make, a cops and robbers game which has that “added function” to make it more fun. While I haven’t chose a solid “added function” I have thought and shortlisted the choices. :thinking:

I need some advice on what should I do, if I planned the game out (notebook), thought of ideas in the game, what is next? I want to start building but I don’t know where to start! :scream:

I have not touched my game place yet, it’s just a baseplate. I have thought out most of the ideas I want to incorporate into my game but nothing has been built yet.

If you are confused, I am asking should I start building a lobby? map? objects?

If you have extra advice like game making advice or that kind of stuff feel free to post them with your proposed solution!

[Please keep in mind that I am a fairly new developer, and this is my first topic. Also please correct me if I put this in the wrong category. I also checked and rechecked the rules to see if I am doing this right.]

8 Likes

I’d start building in the order of the most important builds, then a sub-filter of the order in which the features show up in the game. By this, I mean you’d start building a low-detailed lobby. Maybe just a box with a window showing down to the map where the other players are. After that, I’d start building the maps. Probably just two or three at first, then add more as time goes on. After that, you should program the game- so it works. Then, you should start with the less important features, like your ‘added functions’ to make your game more interesting. Once your game is set up, you should start creating more maps, adding detail to the lobby, and improving your game.

3 Likes

Hello adama88766! Welcome to the DevForums!

Whenever you want to create a new game, always have most of the game aspects planned out. I am not working on a game currently, but I do want to say that having your “plan” on a piece of paper (or online, just make sure it is easily accessible) in front of you while developing would greatly help!

Here are some tips for developing games:

• write down what the game is about (in your case: cops and robbers), and do not forget to include any type of details for the game (like is the game round-based? or is it open exploration?).
    • if your game does happen to be round based, meaning there are rounds of game-play and usually intermissions that loop forever, then consider writing down how long the intermission is, how long the actual round is, what type of rounds are you going to have (for example, for your game, your rounds can be of varying difficulties so you would also want that noted down)
  • also write down steps of your development. What I mean is:
    1. Build lobby
    2. Build map(s)
    3. Start UI (Intro, Main, Shop, etc.)
    4. So on…
  • now, this might be the one that will the most impactful in your development. Everything can be done in more than one way, meaning some ways are more efficient than others. If you are not sure of how to create a certain aspect of the game, or you feel you need assistance, immediately look through the Deveveloper Hub or the Developer Forum. It is also worth noting this down on a piece of paper.
  • try to see how games similar to your work. Explore how the core of game works, their UIs, and why (if) they are popular/highly rated.
  • Most importantly, start simple and work your way up to the top. I have seen many games where their concepts were extremely simple early on, and when updates get released, the game blooms into something incredible! Also, this idea because as time goes on you will learn more and more, so you will have the knowledge necessary for more complex things.
  • this is minor, however, this can affect player experience. Make your game so original/well made to play that players will always remember it! It is also worth adding something “satisfying” within your game. Like making the animation for picking up coins smooth and polished. I know this is very very minor, however, minorities always count!
  • try to (eventually) publish your game across as many platforms as possible. Currently, most players on Roblox are mobile. Desktops and Console follow after. Having your game be playable on all platforms increases your game playercount, popularity, and possibly rating.
  • use your own assets or purchased assets. I mean it is okay to use Free Models once in a while, however, originality is key. This is mainly for images (like icons and symbols), meshes, and etc.
  • games usually have some products on sale that are only able to be purchased by Robux. Including this in your game is how you earn for your effort in developing this game.
  • try to keep your game so that it’s popularity does not fluctuate too much. What I mean is that seasonal games like Snowman Simulator (that are mainly intended for winter) stick around with the popular games, and as seasons change, the popularity decreases. Basically, keep your game constantly engaging. Do not bore your players by not regularly pushing out updates. New things always excite many (especially younger audiences).

These are most of the things that developers (especially quality developers) use when they create games. I cannot come up with specific ideas for your game, but hopefully these act as guides that will help you in your development experience.

Happy developing!

16 Likes

I made a post here about starting! I also want to include the remade version of that post:

also there have been many posts about this I suggest using the search bar.

Step 1 - Game Idea

Making a game idea is easy, but many people over think it. You would need to know what it would be, how it would go, the certain order things move in, and would players have fun. Like I said above, get a popular game and make it your own, flood escape + parkour, flood-kour!
VERY IMPORANT: IF YOU WOULDNT HAVE FUN MAKING THE GAME, DONT DO IT!!! Why make a boring game and spend time into it? That’s just bland.

Step 2 - Questions

You need to plan a game out, what would it be, would it get you any revenue? Would it get popular, what do I add to make it mind-blowing? These are just some of the few questions that many ask before creating a game.

Step 2 - Rough Draft

There are two ways to doing this

Way 1

Get a pencil and paper, sketch out the layout and blue orient of your build. Join some ROBLOX games, take kailbreak for example, you would want to make jailbreak 2.0. You would take some thing from the game, add it into your sketch, and give it a @adama88766 style!

Way 2

Do the above, but instead of using pen and paper, you could make rough drafts on ROBLOX, it would take longer, but it might increase your skill, in building, scripting, what ever you do.

Step 3 - Game Idea Feedback

Now this step is very risky and many developers do this after they make a game. You could ask people for there opinions on your game idea and blueprints, but like I said, it’s risky, if someone really likes the idea, they can steal it and make the game before you.

Step 4 - Making the game

Making the game isn’t going to just happen overnight, if it does, that means you didn’t try. Depending on what the game is, it could take up to a year! That’s highly unlikely, but I’ve seen games that have taken up to that. Maybe, a game could take 3-4 weeks. If it takes that long, that means you put effort.

Step 5 - Playing/Testing

You would want to maybe post your game link somewhere popular and gets some people to test your game out with you!

Step 6 - Enjoy the Game.

You’ve finished, now you can take a break and relax!

8 Likes

Thank you all! I greatly appreciate it! I will definitely use this advice. :upside_down_face:

You said I should program the game in one of your steps. I cannot script [yet] and I don’t want to have to pay money to someone to hire them. What I want is someone who is a newbie programmer like me, and doesn’t want/need to get paid. Maybe if I am confusing you look at Jailbreak. A programmer and a builder. Why I also said newbie is because then we would both be on the same boat if we don’t understand/can’t figure some out. And that is going to be hard finding someone who wants that. Generally people who go that route are partners with a friend they know that codes/builds and their on their way.

I am working on multiple projects, right now, but if you would like, I could help you program for free. I am currently working on 4 other games, so I won’t be able to help too much. But maybe I could at least help you learn a bit?

Oh yeah. You could help a lot. I don’t want to give and date on when I am ready to learn, but can I message you when I am ready?

Make sure that you plan out your expenses, I find that many developers don’t. Will you need to hire a scripter? Buy any models? Buy GFX? Buy UI? Also make sure you set aside money for ads unless your getting an investor. After planning everything I would start with the biggest part of the game, which may be the map in your case. Then move to the smaller things until you need to make a payment to someone for something you can’t do alone.

1 Like

I offered to help him, he won’t need to hire any, and he said we wouldn’t anyway.

Thanks! I will definitely use this when I got the money and want to do that kind of stuff. (I will probably run into money issues farther into development…)

Any other questions please let me know, id love to help in any way I can!

Yep, will do if I run into any problems!

Did my comment help at all? Just wondering?

It was the second best to the solution! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Necropost: Yes, this is very important. Please keep this in mind with game development.