Future Is Bright: Phase 2.5 Released

A long awaited update!!!

Ever since Dynamic Lighting got released in 2013, I’ve always been so interested in learning more about the Roblox game engine. I remember going into my newly built house one day and implementing different color lights into my house and at the time I thought it was the coolest this ever…

BUT THIS!

It cannot be argued that the Future is Bright series of updates is the most important and the best update for the platform. Sure, it’s a bit late, but I and a lot of other developers appreciate all the work you hard working engineers at Roblox to provide us with your great technological advancements for the platform :hugs:

8 Likes

So are Custom Materials coming soon?

5 Likes

It makes our forest tree trunks become shiny. It does not look good, is it a bug?

Before:

After:

32 Likes

So,will we eventually get to the point where one needs a good graphics card to run Roblox games? (LOL).

Jokes aside, FIB is looking as good as ever. Can’t wait to see what the future brings!

6 Likes

This is great! I can already see my self fiddling around with this.

3 Likes

Looks quite interesting, can’t believe that roblox has come to this point!

2 Likes

I see what you mean, most likely it is a small flaw in the system and I’m sure they shall fix it, as it is quite new and of course there are going to be problems.

3 Likes

Really nice, especially for metal objects meant to have a low roughness like the bullet

33 Likes

Since this amazing stuff is being released, would it hurt to implement some type of global illumination option? I see that the skybox can collect lighting data so I would also try going for HDR Rendering for skyboxes and such as an actual rendering feature, HDR wouldn’t cause much lag as it is only the quality of lighting depending on the HDR Resolution. Global Illumination would be an extremely realistic feature even if it was only screen space global illumination. It would add lots of life into the scene along with the PBR workflow and the other rendering features to come, This is just a suggestion but I see that it would be a very very good feauture to add.

9 Likes

Amazing! This looks absolutely stunning!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to this change for a couple years. Thank. You.

5 Likes

Absolutely amazing update. I’m so excited with all these new changes to how roblox can look with lighting and grass!

7 Likes

This is how smooth wood should normally look in real life. Tree bark is not smooth wood, it is rough on the outside. The smoother the material is, the more “polished” it looks, which it looks like this is what you are seeing. Try a material like Slate, which matches the roughness of a real-life tree’s bark.

5 Likes

This update looks way better, I like it! :smile:

3 Likes

I am excited about the new lighting update, can’t wait to use it for my place! :happy1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. It’s still weirdly shiny for a trunk with but it does look better than wood material.

10 Likes

This is absolutely amazing! It definitely reminds me of HDRIs which I use for rendering in Blender. The future is very bright for Roblox!

3 Likes

Amazing update! :cowboy_hat_face:

27 Likes

Its really pleasing to see how Roblox is capable to have many sophisticated scenaries because of this feature. I can’t thank you enough!

2 Likes

Love it! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to experiment more with the settings

62 Likes