GamePassService.PlayerHasPass doesn't return updated results

• Call PlayerHasPass on a pass you dont own, it returns false
  • Buy the pass
  • Call PlayerHasPass again, it still returns false

I think it’s always been broken.

4 Likes

@Seranok Any word?

1 Like

We are adding a new Lua API for checking if a user has a game pass, and the new API won’t have this issue.

4 Likes

Why a new one and not just replace what we currently have?

The main reason is undesirable behavior with the current API (caching, doesn’t work from LocalScripts). If we change this behavior we will likely break games. Better to start from scratch and do it right.

1 Like

Why can’t, internally, when a gamepass is purchased have the cache value set to true? This information is already sent to the server for other events.

I also do not believe there are games that would break if this was fixed. Maybe I’m missing the idea, an example would be great!

2 Likes

Game passes can also be purchased from outside the game from the web store.

I appreciate your brainstorming but I can assure you that we’ve though this through. Players can purchase game passes from the game’s store page. To notify the game server that this occurred, we would have to build a system where purchasing a gamepass sends a realtime notification to either the player and/or the game server, causing them to invalidate their caches. This is a non-trivial amount of work which we are not willing to take on it this time.

The on-site scenario is what I was missing. Makes sense.

Are you close to releasing this new api?
Any substitutes in the meantime?

We don’t have a release date yet, but we will definitely let you all know once we have it finished.

3 Likes

So when is this issue going to be resolved? I’m tired of getting warnings spammed in my output because I’m using a method that actually does its job:

I will not be switching to PlayerHasPass until it does its only job correctly.

10 Likes

I literally can’t sell gamepasses right now because standard Asset ID’s aren’t being handed out on my GamePasses. :expressionless:

So I HAVE to use GamePassService, but it’s not active right now.

3 Likes