GetByFullName Function & Getting Relative Names

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find instances by their full name as well as get relative names.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would allow me to debug easier and improve my libraries and game frameworks which mimic full name behaviour.

I believe that having the ability to access instances by their full name would allow developers to implement better and more performant support for named classes and modules in their game frameworks. This would allow things such as the following: require(ServerScriptService:GetByFullName("Services.MyService")) or game:GetByFullName("ServerScriptService.Services.MyService"))

I think that developers should also be able to use “relative names” which are relative to a given instance rather than game. For example, Instance:GetFullName(relativeInstance) could return the path of the target Instance relative to the provided relativeInstance. This would allow for developers to better debug issues related to improper parents outside of studio without comparing full instance names.

I additionally believe that if Roblox tracked and cached instance paths this could lead to more performant scripts without developers requiring the experience to do so and would reduce the number of indexes in lua.

5 Likes