Google Authenticator / Authy for Account login verification method

As a Roblox developer it is currently impossible to Use Google Authenticator or Authy to verify your login on Roblox as of now.

I saw that they added Phone verification +1 :slight_smile:
But I thought it would be cool if Google authenticator / Authy could be used to authenticate your login requests.
I use Authy on a daily basis and would enjoy using a roblox integration for my login requests.

Any thoughts?

36 Likes

Dude if you don’t know what is being suggested don’t reply.

Google Authenticator is a trusted app for two factor authentication. This would be a great feature to have for Roblox.

15 Likes

Google Authenticator is used by services like Discord and Dropbox already for their two-factor authentication; I see no reason for Roblox to not do the same. This would make a great addition, maybe even better than the email two-step we already have.

Maybe there could be a way to optionally chain steps to create multi-step verification? Sure, it would make it more difficult to log into your account, but if you’re that worried someone is gonna break into your account through other means such as an external data breach allowing a malicious user into your email account, you may as well sacrifice the speed advantage of two-step for the heightened security advantage of multi-step verification.

9 Likes

I use FreeOTP for Discord and ProtonMail and would love to use it for Roblox too.

Google Authenticator is a secondary backup app that allows you to access the verification code by using your mobile phone. It is faster than accessing through email and looking for the code. It is much safer than using email (in my opinion). Just like Usering said below that it is a trusted app and a safe app to use for logging in. I would recommend this to those who have a mobile device.

As a user interface designer, I made a mini user interface sketch IF google authenticator app has added. This is not official yet, this is a idea so far.

1. More Option Page

When you log into your account, a usual popup 2-Step Verification window will appear. Well at the bottom of the “Start Over” text is a “More Options” text which will take you to a page of different ways you can log in rather than using your email.

If you look at the screenshot below, you can see two different options (and maybe more in the future, we’ll see) that you can select to verify your account with.

1. The Actual Google Authenticator App User Interface.

It’s basically the same thing as the 2-Step Verification window except for different text and the google authenticator app

(I support this feature! :+1: )

21 Likes

10/10 Looks amazing!
This is what I was looking for!

1 Like

Google authenticator uses TOTP to do its thing, the current status on this seems to boil down to

“TOTP sounds like a lotta work to get right… isn’t the email thing fine for now… we’ll do it soon guys…”

which, while very low energy, is something at least! It’s been 2 years.

See these threads for more details:

The latter of which has a neat poll with results that may surprise you.

When using Snapchat, I used Google Auth and I then had an incident where I dropped my phone out my car door and accidentally ran it over. From there, it resulted in my losing my snapchat since I couldn’t log back in, and after losing google 2fa, you can never get it back!

If you use a service like Authy it syncs your 2 factors over multiple devices / desktop for no price i freaking love Authy

The usage of Google Authenticator should really be considered. It is a trustworthy app and has been successful in providing codes for apps that support 2-Step Verification such as Discord.

I also don’t like waiting hours and minutes for codes to be emailed to me. It gets annoying when I need access to my account immediately but don’t wish to disable 2SV.

Fix: Store backup codes. Many backup codes.

2 Likes