Grapejuice - Easily run Roblox on Linux

I came back to Grapejuice about a year later, just to test out Linux (LMDE 4) on actual gaming hardware. Works great as expected, but one issue I have is changing the Roblox lighting to the new Future lighting freezes up the whole computer, leading me to hold my power button to restart. Is there a solution to fix that?

(I’m still new to Linux and I’m still studying Linux)

1 Like

I am running a KVM virtual machine through QEMU with VFIO based GPU passthrough. My only installs on the system are Roblox Player / Roblox Studio, Discord, ShareX, Looking Glass (for screen recording), AMD GPU drivers. While sitting with one Firefox tab and Task Manager tab open, I am using 7.7 GB of memory as marked through the committed section. Before I cleared up files to make room for having a page file, whenever the 7.7 GB of memory reached the amount of memory set for the VM, it would result in system freezes inside of the VM. This is also after the usage of utilities such as Windows 10 Debloater.

Additionally, my Linux installation (discounting the /home folder, /var (qemu disks,)) and other files are only taking up 75 GB of space, despite the massive amount of software that I have been too lazy to remove from my system. Meanwhile, my Windows 10 VM is sitting at 39.7 GB of storage in usage.

Windows is most definitely bloated, and for myself and others, this usage of system resources is still a hassle to deal with. There is no replacement that can be made for proper Linux support, and either way, all of us are still inconvenienced for choosing an option that we see as better.

1 Like

Windows isn’t the cleanest operating system. It’s only taking this much storage because it’s being run in a virtual machine. If you really want the best performance and want to continue using Linux as your main OS, you’ll need to dual-boot.

1 Like

Linux is definitely more lightweight and less resource heavy then Windows. You can put the latest version of Ubuntu on a 10 year old laptop and expect it to run pretty smoothly. Whilst Windows 10 on that same laptop wouldn’t work as smooth (or even wouldn’t boot).

A VM does indeed consume alot more memory, so dual-booting is your best option.

4 Likes

A few years ago, I’ve tried using this GitHub - ChrisRfr/Win10XPE: Win10XPE is a Complete Project Based on Win10, Win11 Recovery Environment With Many Windows Features Added..., it’s much lighter than standard windows. I can only recommend it for VMs because it can be incompatible with a lot of windows programs and can have lots of issues, but roblox ran just fine, but definitely not your daily driver OS. Without drivers, CPU usage is none, RAM usage be as low as 512MB, and it can fit in less than a 16GB single fat32 partition if you wish. It doesn’t include stuff like windows update, so no automatic drivers for you, you need to export them from a full windows installation, and import into it. For building it, unchecking everything just to try it out is a good idea, later, you should check the programs you use, because they may include fixes such as audio in Firefox, instead of installing yourself. After creating an ISO, you can install to disk following this: WinPE: Install on a Hard Drive (Flat Boot or Non-RAM) | Microsoft Learn.

3 Likes

@Brinker7 Where would I find the “Roblox Versions folder”, if there is one, to use Elttob’s Vanilla Studio Retexture? I’ve loved how this functions so far btw :grinning:

1 Like

The folder is at ~/.local/share/grapejuice/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Roblox/Versions. I’ve been thinking about adding modmanager-like functionality to Grapejuice, but unfortunately I’m a bit strapped for time at the moment.

1 Like

hello. I have a trouble when i trying to run install.py file.
Error:
Your current version of python is out of date and Grapejuice cannot be installed.
Python 3.7 is required. Check the Grapejuice source repository for the installation instructions.

So what should I do? I tried to update the Python version but it didn’t help. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

1 Like

You need to run the install script using the actual Python 3.7 binary. So the command will be python3.7 ./install.py.

More importantly, Python 3.6 support ends soon, and so does support for your current distribution probably. So I recommend upgrading your distribution to a newer LTS release (which will include Python 3.7 by default as well).

1 Like

so, what i should do with this error? it appears when I use the command python3.7 ./install.py.
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "setup.py", line 5, in <module> from setuptools import setup, find_packages File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/setuptools/__init__.py", line 19, in <module> from setuptools.dist import Distribution File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 34, in <module> from setuptools import windows_support File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/setuptools/windows_support.py", line 2, in <module> import ctypes File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 7, in <module> from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_ctypes' Traceback (most recent call last): File "./install.py", line 96, in <module> perform_install() File "./install.py", line 17, in perform_install subprocess.check_call([sys.executable, "setup.py", "install_locally"]) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 363, in check_call raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd) subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/local/bin/python3.7', 'setup.py', 'install_locally']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
thank you for help

1 Like

Hey,
Could you provide your Distro? I’ll take a quick look and see as did an install a few days ago.

2 Likes

hello, i have Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia

1 Like

My initial suggestion is to install the libffi(-dev(el)) package for python, if that doesn’t work, Mint 19.3 may be too outdated and you’ll need to update to the next LTS version or rolling release.

2 Likes

thank you very mach for your help. I hope it helps me

1 Like

I got this weird popup on Ubuntu 20.10. Will Grapejuice work after April 28 or will it break? Are there any workarounds?

2 Likes

Maybe update your drivers for support for new DirectXes

1 Like

I already have the latest and greatest drivers on Ubuntu.

1 Like

Maybe switch to Vulkan since that is more suited than d3d 9.

1 Like

Vulkan would be great for performance if it worked, but
generic error message

0164:fixme:vulkan:X11DRV_vkCreateWin32SurfaceKHR Application requires child window rendering, which is not implemented yet!
This is a Wine issue and patches do exist, but they could cause mildly annoying flickering and it will take a while before most users get support for this relatively uncommon feature in official Wine releases.

1 Like

Wine has support for DX9 through DX12, so it should most likely still work past April 28. Roblox Studio just really likes loading DX9 for whatever reason.

2 Likes