Grayscale Decal Thumbnails Masked by Random Avatars

Web Location: Decal section of user inventory
Impact: Low
Frequency: Uncommon
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-20 09:20:00 PDT
Date Last Experienced:

Reproduction steps:

1. Visit the profile of any user who has uploaded decals in the past
  2. Access uploaded decals through their inventory and locate any grayscale images

Repro can be observed by following the link to some of the affected assets here:

Inserting any of these images as a decal in Roblox Studio respects the original file; no change to the asset itself.

WEB:

IOS:

Expected Behavior:
Decals faithfully display the asset for preview

Actual Behavior:
The thumbnail preview of some decals are masked by avatars of seemingly random players (none of the users’ silhouettes are friends)—seems to only affect grayscale images.

This also was replicated on the IOS application.

7 Likes

it is the case for me too, when i was looking at old decals i made in create.roblox.com i saw the sillhouette of random avatars on it. the images were only grayscale images, i can confirm that (black, white, or anything in between).

This seems very similar to an existing bug report: Asset previews take on the alpha layer of random Roblox avatars
Is it possible that this is the same issue or that one is a symptom of the other?

2 Likes

This issue has been filed already, please see the centralized bug thread here: Asset previews take on the alpha layer of random Roblox avatars

1 Like