Group to Folder. Like Group but instead of creating a model it creates a folder

I’m using folders instead models a lot and I would use this all the time. It would work just like pressing ctrl-G or selecting Group from the menu, but instead of creating a model and parenting the selected objects to the model, it would create a folder and parent the selected objects to the folder.

Edit: This feature request is already on trello board. Go there to vote for it if you haven’t already. Look below in reply#4, @EchoReaper posted the link to the trello board there.

6 Likes

Well, I feel this is a bit too specific of an issue to be a feature, per say, but I believe one could easily make this into a plugin. (Getting the selected objects, creating a folder, and putting those objects into the folder)

I think that it should be a feature. It’s very useful for organization and Roblox does encourage the use of folders when organizing large projects because it allows you to easily select individual models while at the same time keeping your explorer organized.

That would work for me.

I didn’t think this would be specific to my habits though, I just assumed everybody else has also started using folders to make the workspace cleaner, so that’s why I made a feature request for it.

I think this is what you’re looking for

Yep, that’s it. Thanks. I totally forgot about the trello board even being there. I’m adding it to speed-dial now.

I have a plugin that does this, however key binds only fire when you’re focused in the game window.
Bound to ctrl+shift+F

1 Like

Bumping, want this to be a feature. I use folders in just about every instance where I don’t specifically need the functions a model has, both for neatness and efficiency. It’d be excellent if I could easily group things into them.

Using PluginActions this is doable with a few lines of Lua:

local Selection = game:GetService("Selection")
plugin:CreatePluginAction("make_folder", "Make folder", "Group the selected parts into a Folder").Triggered:connect(function()
	local f = Instance.new("Folder")
	f.Parent = workspace
	for _, o in pairs(Selection:Get()) do
		o.Parent = f
	end
	Selection:Set({f})
end)

Save that as a plugin and then assign a shortcut in File->Advanced->Customize Shortcuts

3 Likes