Hashes appear in developer product description field

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

So I’m not sure what the description field in the developer products is for - as far as I know it’s not visible to end users anywhere, so I could use it for internal purposes which would make it easy to maintain my product data - except that it gets censored / hashed as if it is a public field.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)?

Sometimes

• What are the steps that reproduce the bug?

I reproduced it just now by entering into the description field
Special 4
PitTrap

Saved, and then opened it for Update.
It had turned into
Special # #######

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

It’s happened to multiple games for me, including Level of You and Dungeon Life. https://www.roblox.com/games/2184151436/Dungeon-Life-Pre-Alpha

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

https://gyazo.com/e2938d680eb2a48d525e10a7b8512ff8

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

It’s been happening for at least a year and a half, maybe two.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
3 Likes

I was surprised to find that product descriptions aren’t displayed on the purchase prompt, as seen below:

From what I’m aware, it is up to the developer to implement descriptions in virtual shops, which can be done using the GetProductInfo() function of marketplace. This would explain why it is censored, however there is no doubt that it is a crippling issue. Developers shouldn’t have to work around the filter.

This isn’t a solution, however for now you could create a post on the chat filter review thread asking for the specific phrase to be whitelisted.

Additionally, there is also a feature request from 2016 to display the description of developer products in the prompt purchase window. If you wish feel free to support it.

These constraints placed on developers can be quite a roadblock. I personally have no solution in mind myself, however definitely something which should be looked into.

2 Likes

I don’t think this can be considered a bug by any means. It is text you modify as a user, and seems to be intentionally filtered. There may be plans to display this description somewhere, there may not be.

However, using GetProductInfo, can’t users get the descriptions of developer products? That is a valid reason for it to be filtered.

2 Likes