Have you localized your Roblox game(s)?

mis-replied, replied above

If it helps anyone, this is a graph of MeepCity’s unique monthly visitors

Green is English players
Blue is Spanish and/or Portuguese players.

They make up about a quarter of my English players, but it’s still a big number. Both are going up each month.

( January to Feburary )
English → is a 12% increase
Spanish/Portuguese → is a 16% increase

I think Roblox will get bigger in more countries and languages, so it’s good to act now and get ahead of the competition.

12 Likes

How does one obtain this sort of graph?

1 Like

Is the RobloxLocaleId being set at all on Desktop/Console?

Out of the ~100k sessions I’ve tracked so far, all of them have en-us set as RobloxLocaleId… (but I do not support mobile)

I’m using LocalizationService.SystemLocaleId and I’m using analytic services.

1 Like

Right know it seems like Roblox is really pushing Spanish, so I would recommend translating into that first. It’s also currently the only language that Roblox provides support for AFAIK. So you have to manually switch the language for users with other languages.

Why do you lump the two together?

1 Like

You have to manually input the translations for Spanish just like any other language

Yes but thats not what I was saying. What I mean is Roblox will automatically switch your game to Spanish based on the users settings. They don’t do this for any other language.

You just have to add an extra column in the .csv to add other languages. And you just name the column as other language identifiers. So, Roblox is supporting other languages, just you can’t test the other languages. But, if it works for Spanish, then it’ll work for the others too, right?

Tutorial with other Locale IDs

Edit:
I just saw this section at the bottom. My b. Feels dumb.

1 Like

You can actually test any language by running the command game.LocalizationService.ForcePlayModeRobloxLocaleId = “fr-fr” (replace fr-fr with the language you want) and then test play. So, 2 of those 5 plugin’s are actually kinda pointless. The export/import plugins are also a waste of space because you can just right click on the LocalizationTable to do the same thing. The only one of the plugins I use is the text capture so it would be nice if I could disable the other 4!

2 Likes

I’ve translated my new quiz game - it’s not totally seamless yet since some of the questions are TRANSLATIONS and also some of the answers don’t make sense when they’re not in English, but I’ll have to slowly work my way through fixing that.

3 Likes

One thing here is that adding to the list with new questions is going to be a pain - I’m continuously adding new questions especially as the game is in Alpha, it’d be nice if there was some function which allowed you to load a CSV in that would add to the table rather than overwrite it - any existing duplicates would be overwritten though.

2 Likes

Making a big push for a bunch of languages! https://twitter.com/TheSeanConn/status/979803659876884480 Should have most of them implemented in the coming week!

1 Like

I would love to localize. However, I set almost all of my Gui text by script, and it appears that localization doesn’t work for setting text with script, even if there is no special animation.

2 Likes

It works fine with setting texts by script, you just need to make sure you capture that text when using text capture - or better enter the text that the script will change into the LocalizationTable using scripts or manually.

1 Like

I do use text capture, but it only captures around 100 text labels, when I know there are beyond more than that. When I looked at the table in excel, it excluded a lot.

If your scripts are using data stored in a dictionary or as values - something like that - just use the LocalizationService and LocalizationTable functions to put them into it.

Localized my game DBZ Final Stand to Spanish and will be adding more languages soon as well as improving the current Spanish translation where necessary.

1 Like

Localized half my sinkin ship game with google translate, mainly to see if everything gets translated.

1 Like