[Help] Blender to Studio

I am fairy new to the blender work. How do I reduce triangles without ruining the mesh to get the mesh into studio. If this is a dumb question or is in the wrong category, my bad.

Before you say anything, this is “The Virus.” This is not for one of my games, its for an "employer"s game.

Thx For the advice.

5 Likes

I wish I knew how to make that low-poly/cartoon style with models.

Never really tried using blender with models.

1 Like

I doubt this will be able to get rid of the 180,000 extra tris you have, but you can try using the Decimate modifier. You can also split the mesh into multiple pieces and upload each one separately.

6 Likes

Normally the Decimate Modifier is your best bet, but like @posatta said, I’m not sure if that will get rid of 180,000 extra tris. Splitting the mesh into separate pieces by using P>Separate by Selection will probably be your best bet.

2 Likes

Can you share what your mesh looks like? 180k tris is a lot for an asset, even a Triple A game’s character rig is generally 60-100k tris.

With pictures I guarantee I can show you what you can do to reduce tri count.

2 Likes

I added an image of the mesh to the post.

1 Like

You could reduce this down a lot. Use the decimate mod, and clean the topology up. You could cut out a lot of tris just by replacing the middle sphere with a much more simple sphere - you don’t need all those mini hills and valleys.

5 Likes

Try to cut it in pieces apart, so you can do it one per one. It may be taking alot of time but it works!

1 Like

No model edits
[deleted]
Model Edits (Recommended to reduce lag)
As stated above, you can use the decimate modifier in one of the tabs to reduce the amount of triangles.

1 Like

Hey there:

To be honest I am learning blender, but I will try giving you advise about this.

Be sure you check your triangles every 10 minutes or 15, sometimes when I try and learn blender I sometimes forget to read the triangles.

Here are some possible outcomes why your mesh could contain a massive amounts of triangles:

a) The modifier you have selected may contain a very high range of triangles than expected, possibly try a modifier which could hold less triangles but the main issue could be it may spread your mesh and cause problems, maybe the pointy bits have been used by a modifier and caused a high shape of triangles which possibly could be the main issue.

b) The model you have imported might have been fully selected, try to import the model part by part, maybe the model might be in a individual selection you have imported, try to import the model little parts by time but Im not pretty sure how this would work, Im mainly a builder and a Interface designer.

c) The shadings might cause a high angle meaning that this is a possibility of causing the triangles to rise up high, maybe try going to edit mode depends on what version on blender your using to smoothen it, I use more than 1 version on blender, probably instead of having a massive shades around the big ball possibly you could smoothen it as it could decrease the triangles.

if you have any questions do not hesitate to reply this or if you are trying to find more reasons I will try, Im learning 3D modelling slowly, im getting the hang of it slowly. :smiley: :smiley:

I hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

:warning: :warning: :warning:
Splitting meshes in most cases is really bad practice and you realize that the model has 190246 faces, meaning they would have to split the mesh into 20 different meshes, which is a waste of time.

Stop suggesting they get around bad topography by just splitting their mesh apart. If they’re making this for a client, and for a game, the professional thing to do is to make it properly.

I don’t know if you mean this, but this reads as if you’re suggesting that shading changes the geometry of objects, which is doesn’t. It makes it look different visually, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t still there.

I just quickly recreated the object without simplifying and it is under 10k tris. But with more work I would cut this down to 5-7k depending on the significance of the asset. 180k is not necessary, and would make setting up the UV for a texture into a nightmare.

4 Likes

(Those things are what I’m calling receptors.) All of these appear to be identical, so it would be easier to just upload a sphere and upload one receptor, then position them accordingly/weld in Studio. Simplifying the mesh is probably a better option, but I definitely didn’t mean cutting it into 20 different meshes.

3 Likes