Help in making lighting zones

I am trying to make areas of different lighting in my game, but I don’t know a lot about lighting. How would I change the lighting settings (like fog or ambient color) for one player? I’ve tried putting it in a script/local script but I don’t know if that will change for all players or just the one I want. Thanks!

If you want the lighting to change for one player simply just use a localscript and a touch event or Region3

You can also make a transition with tween service between different colors

If you aren’t working 3D/layered zones, then you can just put invisible bricks under the map. Use a LocalScript that will, every Heartbeat, shoot a raycast downwards from the character HumanoidRootPart to check for one of these zones in a whitelist (so that only these parts can be detected in the raycast). Determine what zone you are in based on what the cast hits, then update lighting accordingly.

2 Likes

Yup, the best thing you can do as colbert said is using raycasts to check the area.

I recently made a similar script for a Roblox Game Jam so feel free to use it or modify it

RunService.Heartbeat:Connect(function() 
	local SnowyScreenRaycastParams = RaycastParams.new()
	SnowyScreenRaycastParams.FilterDescendantsInstances = SnowyFilterParts
	SnowyScreenRaycastParams.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Whitelist

local Result = workspace:Raycast(Hrp.Position, Vector3.new(0, 150, 0), SnowyScreenRaycastParams)

if (not Result and not Result.Instance) then
		SnowScreenEffectEnabled = true

TweenService:Create(game.Lighting, SnowyTweenInfo, {FogEnd = 75, FogStart = 0}):Play()

TweenService:Create(Snowy0, SnowyTweenInfo, {ImageTransparency = .9}):Play()
		TweenService:Create(Snowy1, SnowyTweenInfo, {ImageTransparency = .9}):Play()
	elseif (Result and Result.Instance ~= nil) then
		SnowScreenEffectEnabled = false

TweenService:Create(game.Lighting, SnowyTweenInfo, {FogEnd = 125, FogStart = 25}):Play()

TweenService:Create(Snowy0, SnowyTweenInfo, {ImageTransparency = 1}):Play()
		TweenService:Create(Snowy1, SnowyTweenInfo, {ImageTransparency = 1}):Play()
	end
end)

You maybe should add some short of debounce or something similar to avoid the script executing unnecessary tweens.

2 Likes