Help with a third person lock script?

Hi. I set off a few days ago to put together a third person script that I could hook into a gun system I’ve been working on. I found numerous resources that worked and got something finally functional. The script here works as it should:

local RS			= game:GetService("RunService")
	local UIP			= game:GetService("UserInputService")
	local Plr			= game:GetService("Players").LocalPlayer
	local UGS			= UserSettings():GetService("UserGameSettings")
	local Char 			= Plr.Character or Plr.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	local Cam			= workspace.CurrentCamera
	local xAngle 		= 0
	local yAngle		= 0

local Cfg 			= {
		Sens 			= 0.5,
		Goffset 		= Vector3.new(0, 0, 0),
		Loffset 		= Vector3.new(2, 2, 5)
		}

local Ignore 		= {Char}

UIP.InputChanged:Connect(function(input, isProcessed)
		if isProcessed and input.UserInputType ~= Enum.UserInputType.MouseMovement then return end

local delta 	= input.Delta
			xAngle 		= xAngle - delta.X
			yAngle		= math.clamp(yAngle - delta.Y * Cfg.Sens, -80, 80)
	end)

RS:BindToRenderStep("CameraUpdate", Enum.RenderPriority.Camera.Value, function()
		local camSubject 	= Cam.CameraSubject
		if not camSubject then return end

local subject 		= Char.PrimaryPart
		if not subject then return end

local xCFrame 		= CFrame.Angles(0, math.rad(xAngle), 0)
		local anglesCFrame	= xCFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.Angles(math.rad(yAngle), 0, 0))
		local camPos		= subject.Position + Cfg.Goffset
		local startCFrame	= CFrame.new(camPos):ToWorldSpace(anglesCFrame)

local camCFrame		= startCFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.new(Cfg.Loffset))
		local camFocus		= camCFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.new(0, 0, -Cfg.Loffset.Z))

Cam.Focus			= camFocus
			Cam.CFrame			= camCFrame
			UIP.MouseBehavior 	= Enum.MouseBehavior.LockCenter
			UGS.RotationType 	= Enum.RotationType.CameraRelative

local CameraRay 			= Ray.new(Char.Head.Position, Cam.CFrame.Position - Char.Head.Position)
		local HitPart, HitPosition 	= game.Workspace:FindPartOnRayWithIgnoreList(CameraRay, Ignore)
		Cam.CFrame = (Cam.CFrame - (Cam.CFrame.Position - HitPosition)) + (Char.Head.Position - Cam.CFrame.Position).Unit
	end)

The problem I’m facing is with regard to the startCFrame ( I think? ). The function above is togglable, so that the third person lock does not take effect until I equip my gun (tool.Equipped fires and runs the script, tool.Unequipped stops it). However, the script isn’t designed to be togglable, I don’t think, and whenever it is toggled (when I equip my gun), my character snaps towards a specific side of the map, which I think has to do with the camera CFrame being set based on a specific starting CFrame.

I’m not all too familiar with vector math and camera manipulation. What changes can I make so that my character no longer randomly faces one side of the map when the function initializes?

1 Like