Help with using MeshParts in a tool/sword!

Problem

Other swords using a Meshes work, but swords using meshparts don’t work. I don’t want to make any big changes to the animations, or scripts since all other swords use the same scripts and would take a while to make them even.

Attempted Solutions

1. I’ve tried making the handle a group instead of a part (Run through many errors in the code)
  2. Making the handle cover the entire sword/claw
  3. Making the handle only cover the handle part
  4. Making the Meshparts outside the handle

Code, meshes, etc.

Sword doesn’t work.obj (157.6 KB)

bandicam%202019-07-04%2008-19-18-906

In order to see the video, you have to download it

If you need more information, don’t feel afraid to ask.

3 Likes

You should try welding the meshparts to the Handle. Good thing Roblox added WeldConstraints so you won’t need to deal with CFrames.

3 Likes

(After 10 minutes of figuring out why your video didn’t work and finally downloading it on a library PC -_-) It looks like the parts just fall off when you take the sword out. Create a WeldConstraint for each mesh and parent the welds to them. The Part0 has to be the parent mesh, while Part1 the handle. That’s pretty much it.

2 Likes

Would it be easier to just take the ID of the MeshPart, and put it into a complex mesh? I just thought about if it might work.

Then you would have to open blender (or whatever you have) and join all the individual meshes into one, as well as remake all the textures and UV mapping.

40 mins to 3 hours of work vs creating 5 weld constraints… I know what I would choose.

2 Likes

Your parts are anchored. Unanchor all of the meshes and the handle.

If you want to keep the sword from moving, anchor the handle only and unanchor it when equipping.

1 Like

Thank you! The sword works now, I just have to move the handle a bit so the sword is equipped correctly.

2 Likes

WeldConstraints are such an amazing gift, especially since you don’t have to worry about CFrames. I’ve almost exclusively converted all my legacy and reusable scraps of assets from creating Welds and setting CFrames to only using WeldConstraints.

I still do weld all with Motor6D if I need to animate though, which then the CFrame pain strikes back.

3 Likes

I mostly like the fact that they have a proper use (not divided into Welds, ManualWelds and Motor6Ds with minor or no differences).

2 Likes