How can I make sure my game looks as good quality as the front page games? What is it that makes a game front page?

I came up with a unique concept.

It’s a destructive pvp racing game.
The game is called Bloxy Roads and the name describes it.

People love the game and have a lot of fun in it.

I’m still unsure though if it deserves to be in front page.

What is missing? It’s got lots of maps and cars and has huge amount of effort put into it.

I’ve had 25 players playing. Chaotic but really fun smooth gameplay.

Server memory is around 1500 - 2200 MB

Client memory is at 500MB usage.

So what is it exactly that makes a game stay in front page?

1 Like

Games are on the front page because it’s just fun and people enjoy it. Take a look at all your competitors with similar games (if any) and ask yourself if your game is better visually and unique in ways that make it different, if so and you believe your game is fun then try releasing it. You also want to ensure your game is accessible by all the platforms (mobile, console and pc) for more players.

How did you calculate server memory?

1 Like

I tried your game and I think that it was Really good. but maybe to boost players make a new icon, I thought the thumbnails were really good but the cover could be as quality as the thumbnails. also try advertising your group and your game so more people can play, you will get more players once more people are playing in the same server. because people cant play the game unless there are other players in the server.

If there were an easy formulaic answer to this, everyone would have a front page game. A more realistic goal (for the moment) would be to have an active server at all times of the day.

Getting people to play your game comes down to two things: get players in (marketing), and retain them (replayability). I’ve raced in those larger servers and have some advice on how to move forward with this.

Marketing side:
I don’t think your icon will entice people to play. Why? Icons are 150x150 pixels. That’s only enough space to show 1 or maybe 2 objects. Most of the front page games understand this. The Bloxy Roads icon is barely discernable. One has to look very closely, and even then it isn’t clear what the game is about. That aside, the drawing style doesn’t look as professional as other icons.

The thumbnails are a little better. If you still have the builds, fixing them will be relatively easy. Adding blur to your thumbnail does NOT make it look professional. Instead, learn the basics of a program called Blender. Then import your build into Blender, take some time to adjust the lighting, and it’ll look better than ever.

Gameplay side:
There’s hardly any interaction between players. Any time I tried slamming into someone, my car would get destroyed while theirs remained unharmed. Another contributing factor is the width of the track. Look at Mario Kart. Look at Sega’s racing games. Their tracks use a low width to make it easier to interact with people. They provide items to use against other people (a form of interaction). With the current state of your game, it’s disadvantageous to interact with anyone. Consequently, most rounds feel exactly the same. That wild-card, unpredictable element from other party racers isn’t present here. You say it’s chaotic but, at least from the rounds I played, I just don’t see it.

2 Likes

It gets chaotic in the higher levels.

Some cars are built more rigidly than other cars. Both cars take damage when you slam into them.