How did you guys find fun in scripting?

I’m starting back to learning scripting after giving up on it. I found it to be boring honestly. How did you guys find fun in doing it, or stayed motivated to do programming? It’s boring to be typing somethings and making sure it’s right and all, and can get pretty frustrated. How do you find the fun in it?

I do not find fun in programming, despite the fact that it is undoubtedly my #1 hobby.

What I find enjoyment in is the satisfaction I get from seeing the finish product, and more-over, the satisfaction from people playing the finished product and enjoying it.

To say satisfaction is the main source of enjoyment from programming though is far from the truth. One thing that I think most people find enjoyment in is the coexperience of working on a project with a group of people, no matter how large or small. People make things more enjoyable and less tedious, especially when those people are your friends.

17 Likes

I found fun in creating the systems and seeing them in action. Whatever I have been scripting, it’s always modular and ready and set to be used. All works were systematical and methodical.

6 Likes

Scripting in itself is not something i find very fun. It’s a tool I use to be able to create the things I like. It’s like a hammer to a carpenter. The hammer is not that fun but what it can create is.

Now I’m currently working on a building module for my game and seeing how it grows for every session is really nice. Scrolling through the code is also nice since you can look back at your hard work.

2 Likes

The fun comes from inspiration. If you’re inspired to make something and simply “can’t wait” to make it, scripting becomes a breeze.

1 Like

If you’re just starting out, it might be boring because you’re going to constantly hit roadblocks. When I first started out I didn’t enjoy it because I didn’t know much. Once you learn enough and you can create most things that you imagine, it’ll get fun :smiley: You also won’t have to think much/plan to create it because you can already imagine what the script is going to look like.

Even today, when I hit a roadblock, I get demotivated. In the past when I hit a roadblock I usually scrapped the project so it’s your job to pick a project that is simple to create, but one that you can get experience from. You should focus on learning from your games rather than making money.

4 Likes

Just like a few other people here, I believe the fun comes in finishing a block of code, or even just fixing a bug.

3 Likes

Personally I really enjoy the concepts behind what scripting and programming in general actually is. Fundamentally it’s problem solving!

Take the simplest of tasks, killing a place who falls onto a lava block. We have so many ways of achieving the same goal, we could add an explosion to the workspace in the position of the player’s head, we could manually set the health to 0, we could damage the humanoid at set intervals, to name just a few.

This same concept applies to everything, what is the most creative, satisfying and coolest way to do something? That’s up to the scripters, we allow games to be whacky and wonderful not just pretty.

If you’re a nerd, you could also think about the mathematics and complexity of the programs you write. Condensing down algorithms to be more dynamic, easy to adjust, more efficient, quicker, more accurate, etc.

It’s the possibilities and the challenges that make scripting fun for me!

2 Likes

It gets fun when you know how to do many concepts. At first, you can’t think of many inventions you want to invent and yet get easily frustrated. As you start working hard and trying to do many inventions, even you fail, you can still succeed. When it comes to programming, you need to know so many lua concepts and functions that can make your script work. Most of my days, as a programmer, script and always hit an error when I finished adding/changing something. It’s still fine, but sometimes I do get frustrated when I don’t understand it. Like problem solving, it takes time for you to solve the problem. It’s okay if you’re bored, you’re not even alone who is having that kind of experience. But for the most part, you keep programming, sooner and later, you would get fun doing it the most.

1 Like