How do I make music?

I have always liked listening to music, and recently I decided to start making my own. I have already downloaded a desktop app called “MuseScore”, and i thought i would be set to start making music, the problem is that i can’t come up with anything.
I was wondering if there was some process or practice to help with that or was I just supposed to have cool ideas just like that.

Also am not sure if this is correct category.

2 Likes

As long as you can read sheet music (MuseScore is a notation program afterall) it’ll be a good start to using MuseScore! Knowing the basics of theory (chord progressions, voice leadings, chord functions, intervals, chord buildings) will be all you need to start making music.
Not everything will sound good to start (trust me, I know) and it may take a while but as long as you keep persistent with it you will learn some tricks on how to make a piece!
If you can play an instrument it’s also always good to improvise a bit on it to come up with melodies or musical ideas to use.

5 Likes

Thank you, I can (albeit slowly) read sheet music, I do need to brush up on music theory tough, i can also play the piano so thats like a bit over half of what you said, thank you :pray:.

2 Likes

Hey, another musician!

I’m not sure what advice to give you about digital music because I only use real instruments but I can answer some of your other questions.

It happens to everyone, don’t worry if your stuck for a while. Especially in music.

Ok, you kind of answered your own question here. There is one fool proof practice to be more creative: Take a shower and don’t worry if anyone hears you singing and tapping the sides of your legs.
You’re sure to come up with something by the time you run out of hot water!

Me too! Need any tips or something?

Any other questions?

1 Like

I came up with something yesterday while watering the yard. c:

1 Like