How do you handle a lootbox purchase if the player already owns all of a certain item?

My game has lootboxes that give you specific items, e.g. a hat, hair, face, etc.

The problem is that I’m not sure what to do if the player owns all of a certain item. I want to give them the other items, but not that one. Should I just reduce the price of the lootbox or something? What if the player owns everything?

What do the people that use lootboxes here do when that stuff happens?

2 Likes

If they own everything, maybe just say “You own everything” Or even give them a badge for getting everything. :slight_smile:

Just my ideas.

1 Like

Yeah, the problem is like I said my current system always gives you a certain amount of certain items.

For instance, you will always get 2 hats and 1 face in every lootbox. What should I do if they own all the hats, but not all the faces?

Even handling that in my code is turning out to be really messy. :confused:

You can compensate them for the duplicate with some in-game currency.

5 Likes

That sounds way better than what I’m thinking of doing. I will highly consider this.

Yeah! Like Jailbreak lol

And like most games.

1 Like

Okay since everyone does that I think I’ll do that. It also shouldn’t be too hard to add to my existing code. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i don’t play most games. :wink:

been real busy lately lol

Besides direct compensation for duplicates, you can implement fusion or merging of items for higher rarity. So, for example if you have the following:

Tier 1: 20 items
Tier 2: 15 items
Tier 3: 10 items

4 Tier 1 = 1 Tier 2
4 Tier 2 = 1 Tier 3

The implementation of a simple solution like this would make duplicates less of a problem and promote repurchasing of loot boxes with content that a user already has.