How do you import a realistic tree's texture from Blender 2.8 to Studio?

Hello,

I tried creating realistic trees as of today, and am having trouble importing it to studio.

Here is the tree I created:

Here is what it looks like in studio:

I tried baking the texture onto the model, and this is what I ended up with:

Is there a way I can preserve the texture from blender into studio? Thanks!

2 Likes

I would assume you couldn’t get the entire mesh into roblox perfectly following the triangles limit, however I’m pretty sure people take the texture from the blend and create a decal and post it onto an invisible part. I’ve never worked with realistic trees though, so I couldn’t tell you exactly.

1 Like

Hi, try setting the transparency value of the leaf mesh to 0.02 or as low as you can, to make the part disappear, and the texture appears with no background (part).

Use the new feature Surface Appearance and but your Texture by ColorMap and make the Alpha Mode to Transparency

2 Likes

It was 292 tris total. I guess I’ll just mess around with it until it works.

1 Like

You forgot to UV map the mesh properly. Failing to do so would create texture issues on the baked textures.

Tree UV Map Example:

Imported to Roblox:

7 Likes

Ooh, I’ll try it out! Thanks :>

One question: You used separate planes for the leaves? I used a hair particle on the tree because I don’t know how else I’m supposed to do it.

Both methods work perfectly fine, the separate planes work as well as the hair particles; the hair particles are placing those planes automatically (and depending on settings, randomly) around the mesh.

1 Like

I used separate planes for the branches so I can have control over the shape of the tree. Though using hair particles works fine, I do not recommend sticking to that method since the control over the shape is very limited. Additionally, it promotes laziness which equates to low quality work.

The best way of building a realistic game-ready tree is to build from top to down: starting from the leaves down to the trunk. Sculpt the leaves or alternatively get a leaf texture reference. Add the leaves to a branch then bake them into a plane. This is to reduce the triangle count so the game can run smoothly. Cut out the plane and shape it to add depth. Finally, create the trunk then add the branches. I hope that you get the idea.

1 Like

Ah, thank you a lot! I will be sure to use your advice. Thanks!

Is this archived already? I just want to say that theres a new function in studio called surface appearance.

what texture did you use for that tree you made, it looks really nice

Did you make all those trees? They look awesome!

1 Like