How to "bake" texture onto Un-wrapped model

Hi, I am trying to bake a picture onto the model UV Wrap to make a texture I can then use in Roblox.

So basically I want to kind of “cut” out the part of the texture image to get a Roblox compatible texture. A little bit like this:

But I dont want the materials to texture I just want the texture, so I can just lay a picture under the UV Wrap and then “cut” out the excess. Like this: (red marked are the places that will be removed)

I hope you guys understood what I meant and can help me! This will help me greatly, thank you very much, and if you need more information just ask!

2 Likes

I’m happy to help, I just need you to define what you mean by “baking” because baking is different than what I think you’re referring to:
(it could also refer to Ambient Occlusion, lighting, and other rendering uses)

Can you provide examples in Studio of what you’re trying to achieve? Or reference final-product images from other sources of where you want to get to?

We’re all happy to help once we know exactly what you mean :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Aotrou
Hi, thank you for helping me, I will give you more details and a better explanation later today! What I meant in short was how I can use any picture as a texture for my model so it works in studio. Now, the problem is, is when I add a «normal» picture that i havent done anything with in Blender, the texture doesnt show…
So basically, in short: How make a normal picture texture «ready». I hope this helps a little, and as I said, i’ll update my answer as soon as I can!
Sincerely

2 Likes

Having the excess there will not cause any issues once the texture is applied to the mesh in Roblox. It will automatically ignore anything that is not within the unwrapped UV map’s bounds.

If you really do want to remove the excess, you can do this by exporting a UV Frame image and then using a photo editor to select the area outside the bounds of the frames.

Exporting UV Layout:
TMPgif

Open the texture and the UV layout as layers (UV layout on top).

Use the magic wand tool to select the excess around the UV Layout layer, then switch to the Texture layer and cut the selection, then delete the UV Layout layer.

Save the image.

I am not sure if this is really what you are trying to do, though.

2 Likes

Yes, this is pretty much what I am looking for, I will try this out as soon as I get home!
Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh, you posted with clarification while I was in the middle of typing out my previous post…

If the image texture is not showing when you add it in Studio, first thing I would make sure to check is that the image has been approved by Roblox moderation (If you visit the asset page on the Roblox website, it should show the image itself, not the grey page icon over the white background)

If it has been approved by moderation and it still does not show up, your mesh could have the incorrect UV Layout. Make sure you export your mesh after the mesh has been unwrapped, and reimport it into Roblox just to double check.

Any additional clarification when you get on later would help as well, because so far your post is a tad vague as to what exactly the issue is.

1 Like

Yeah, my post was written in a rush.
Well, I will come back to you later this day to see if it worked!
Cheers

2 Likes

Also remember, you have to upload your mesh separately from your texture (upload your mesh in Studio with a meshpart, upload your texture like a decal on the website) for the easiest method of uploading.

I know there’s another way, but I’ve always used the site upload for my textures since I can know 100% that they’ve uploaded properly.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice!
Will do, and thank you again @0riginalPoster and @Aotrou for the help!
I will test this out today, since I sadly did not get time to do it yesterday :slight_smile:

2 Likes