How to Get Incredibly Small Parts (1/100 of a Stud!)

This is my first tutorial, so please tell me if I did something wrong.

In this tutorial, I will show you how to get extremely small parts!

In case you didn’t know, the smallest possible standard Part is 0.05 x 0.05 x 0.05, which is small, but sometimes not small enough for things like non-mesh tools.

However, there is a way to make parts even smaller! First, create a new part and don’t resize it. I put mine at 0,0.5,0 for this tutorial.

Then, create another part, make it bigger, and move it up 0.01 studs so that it overlaps a huge majority of the other part. Then negate this second part. If the other part is at 0,0.5,0, then put this one at 0,0.51,0.

Finally, Union both parts. You will be left with a 4 x 0.01 x 2 Unioned part!
As you can see, the green unioned part is actually shorter than the regularly-sized red part on the left!

However, it gets better! You can even repeat this, but use 0.501 as the Y-coordinate for the second part… you get a 0.001 high part! This is super useful for carpets/decorations!

P.S. The Size property still says 4 x 0.05 x 2 although the part is actually smaller.

19 Likes

You can also union a 0.05x0.05x0.05 part to a larger part, scale that larger part down, and then separate.

Your method is definitely more precise though. Only con I can see with yours is that it isn’t directly resizable without separating.

6 Likes

If you’re working with strictly parts, wedges, and cylinders, you can also use BlockMeshes and SpecialMeshes with a smaller Scale property.

5 Likes

sidenote:
this isn’t very useful for meshes (which I often need to resize and hit the limit)
there’s an FFlag that allows the minimum size to be lowered

2 Likes

Pretty sure meshparts can be smaller than 0.05 studs.

1 Like

What’s a use case where this is more efficient than just using a normal part and burying it slightly into whatever surface it’s on? Normally to make thin carpets or wall decorations, I just use a .25/.125 wide part and move it into the surface i’m laying it on- unioning them with exact measurements seems like it’d take twice and long as yield potentially unpredictable results with how finnicky CSG is

2 Likes

@Gravity_Defier
What I would most likely use it for is non-mesh tools/weapons (as I don’t have Blender).

@Legoracer @AstroCode
I build only with parts, not meshes. If you use meshes, then this probably isn’t necessary.

@7z99
Good idea… but your method still needs unioning and separating. Hopefully you don’t need more than a few sizes of small parts, in which my method works fine.

3 Likes

MeshParts are by default a block – Which is same as part.

3 Likes

I rarely use MeshParts, and didn’t know that. If you still want to use regular Parts, you can use the tutorial to make them smaller. There aren’t too many uses for super tiny parts anyway, besides for decorating high-poly areas and making detailed tools. In most cases you would want to make parts bigger to avoid causing lag for low-end computers by using 1,000 tiny parts vs 1 big part…

2 Likes

They can, pretty sure it’s only when you first import them though.

1 Like

Why can’t you just turn off Movement Increment under the Model Tab?

2 Likes

Like @Legoracer mentioned, I’d definitely recommend using meshparts over this method with CSGs. It’s silly to say “you only build with bricks and not meshparts” when we are dealing with such primitive shapes widely available in the toolbox. No blender necessary.

2 Likes

And what would that do? Parts still snap to 1/1000 of a stud, even if that is off. It is not possible to get a Part with a Position of 0.0001 (1/10000), at least to my knowledge.

1 Like