How to go about creating VTOL vehicles?

As the name of this thread says, how would I create a VTOL aircraft using Body Movers to replicate a realistic (or at least pseudorealistic) system which reflects on real world forces?

I know I probably shouldn’t be diving into this with my limited knowledge on vehicles in ROBLOX itself, but I know for a fact that there aren’t really any topics about helicopters and other VTOL aircraft in ROBLOX. I could try looking through freemodel helicopter scripts, but some are probably obfuscated. I’d only want to do that as a last resort.

2 Likes

May I suggest you try doing a search for ROBLOX VTOL and see if there is anything there that might help you move on a bit.

In theory, VTOL stands for Verticle Take-Off and Landing, which means vehicles lifting up or landing down vertically upon take-off or landing.

In order to work with this, start the vehicles initial velocity accelerating up. Once reached to a certain height, you may move freely around with the vehicle. Landing is the reversed process.

3 Likes

LineForces would be useful here. https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/LineForce
BodyGyros and BodyForces are also commonly used for these types of vehicles.

There isn’t really a specific way to create these vehicles, you really just need to apply forces to them somehow.

3 Likes

Basically I’d have a force pushing downwards on the model’s center of mass. Calculating the center of mass is basically this formula

Sum of all the (X components of position * the mass of that part) / the total mass. Do this for Y and Z as well. Now you combine the components into a single Vector3. And that Vector 3 will be your center of mass!

1 Like