How to make a build feel 'alive'?

If you know anything about the whole kitbashing and kit-making process, you’ll know that the one thing that gives a model any sort of weight and legitimacy is how aged it looks.
Not every build requires some degree of aging, it’s all purely based on how it’s going to be used and in what kind of style the builder is going for.
However, if you want to make a build feel alive, I’d highly recommend adding aging in some places, which can usually be represented by chipped concrete and edges, scratch marks, and what-not.

This could use more vegetation, and more greenery. Maybe someone else working inside of the place would help?

yknow I toyed with all the lighting effects and completely forgot there’s an entirely different and objectively better lighting engine just sat waiting to be enabled, thank you!

No problem! Be sure to mark my answer as the solution if it helped! That would be nice :slight_smile:

Man, Future is Bright really compliments builds… stunning.

3 Likes

I’d add expansion joints to the pavement using a PBR normal map, and tweak the lighting using postprocessing effects to help increase the saturation a bit.

1 Like

Switched the lighting engine, did so much to make it better without me doing any effort… love it.

No problem! If my reply helped mark as solution please :wink:

plants

30char

I think you should add some lighting. I mean pitching up the saturation/contrast makes things feel alive for me. That might be just me tho.