How to make camera fixed at part but rotatable?

The title is probably a bit confusing, but I would like to know how to attach a camera’s position to a part but have your camera be rotatable like usual. An example of my definition of ‘rotatable’ is when you rotate your camera around your character by holding RMB. I want it to do exactly that, except fixes the camera position to a part I choose.

You can adjust the various properties of the CurrentCamera in the Workspace via a LocalScript in order to achieve this.

Example

local CurrentCamera = workspace.CurrentCamera
local partToTrack = workspace.NameOfPart

CurrentCamera.CameraSubject = partToTrack
CurrentCamera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Track

--[[
These properties can be changed inside of a function so you can control
when it'll be changed to a designated part and back to the player's Character
--]]

--------------------------------------------------------

--[[
The following two properties do not need to be set manually when using
a CameraType that is not "Scriptable" -- I'm just showing it as an example
--]]

CurrentCamera.Focus = partToTrack.CFrame
CurrentCamera.CFrame = partToTrack.CFrame

Brief Explanation

The CameraSubject will be the object that the camera will follow.

A CameraType of Track will allow for the player’s Camera to be locked onto that part, except they will have the ability to move their camera around as described in the OP.

The Focus and CFrame of the Camera do not need to be set under these circumstances, as the default camera scripts are being used and the CameraType is not set to Scriptable.

In order to bring the camera back to the player’s Character, ensure that the CameraSubject is swapped back to the Humanoid of the player’s Character, the CameraType to Custom, and the CFrame property to the CFrame of the Character’s Head (if I recall correctly).

Additional info/documentation on these properties can be found from the following Developer Hub pages:

Developer Hub Resources

CameraSubject Documentation

CameraType Documentation

Camera Focus Documentation

Camera CFrame Documentation

In a LocalScript:

workspace.Camera.CameraSubject = Part

Change Part to the base of the place you want to focus on.

1 Like