How to make my idea for a game original

Recently, I came up with an idea to make a Sci-fi themed PMEBGE (Prtty much evry bordr gam evr) from a post talking about how sci-fi is commonly used in border games.

The problem? It’s not a very original idea. It’d be taking the game mechanics and moving it to a sci-fi setting. I don’t want to be that kind of developer.

The thing is, I kind of like the idea, and it’s a step up from my obby game.

What I’m asking for is simply:

• Should I take this project or abandon it?
  • If I should take it, what are ways can I make it different from PMEBGE?

Let me not answer your initial question and instead bring up another question as it should not be our choice if you decide to make a game or not.

It’s completely your choice, not ours. Before you start creating it think of how border games are made and where you could improve it. Usually game developers either notice something in a genre that they’d like to add so they make their own variant or just simply want it to be different completely.

If you can distinguish the difference in what border games have and what you would want in a border game then think if you would actually be motivated enough to make it. Usually game developers who simply just want something to be different so they make their own game of that genre lose motivation really quickly cause they know that the type of game they’re making already exists and ultimately think their game will never get far enough to ever be as popular as that one game they wanted to improve on.

If you find difference in a game and can find the motivation to continue the project, good job! Not a lot of people can do that. I hope to see your game one day if you do decide to make it.

TL;DR This project shouldn’t be decided by us if it should be continued and instead you.

2 Likes

The general core gameplay of most border games are mostly flawed, there was even a discussion post on this:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/are-border-games-dying/776032?u=dthecooles

TL;DR they over monetized it.

However, you can make it original by considering the gameplay mechanics that are fun and unique and reworking them to transform your game to be more original. Perhaps think of ways to make each team more fun to play as without the monetization aspect.