How to make/support games with no/small amounts of robux?

I really want to make a game and I have great ideas for it. The only problem I ran into for making this game, is finding and funding a development partner/team.

How would I go about doing this?
I’m not rich as I’ve never made games before - although I do GFX commissions (which don’t earn me enough to hire a developer).

I hear paying in % isn’t the best thing to do as the developer isn’t 100% guaranteed to earn the robux they desire.

To get some talented developers, you need quite a lot of money which I obviously don’t have; hence why I posted this.

I know investors exist but it’s really hard to find one that is willing to work with you - even if you provide them the highest details possible of the game you’re wanting to create.

I’d be happy to hear how small (or used to be small) developers went around this.

1 Like

Just create a game by yourself. That is what I am doing, you don’t need to hire people. I am just figuring out how to do everything myself!

3 Likes

There are other topics about this, but I’ll tell you some advice:

You could promote your games on twitter, to your friends, and tell their friends to play or invite in a long loop of inviting friends and players, or other methods that I haven’t tried. :sad:

If you had like 50-120 R$, you could sponsor a bit and It could get a small amount of attention with players looking through games on the search page, but maybe ask your friends if they do some building or scripting, that’s what I did for my project since April, and it went well.

In the end, having friends who could work for free or having some talent with you could help out with your development. And next time, you could have people pay for your GFX stuff, which can earn you some profit for advertising/paying your developers.

Anyway, have an awesome Monday and week! :wave:

3 Likes

I’m quite talented in most key areas of development but the most major, scripting, is very difficult. Is there any helpful tutorials to help boost my knowledge? I’m advanced in HTML + Python, just not LUA.

Yeah, but how would I make a decent game just by myself with little knowledge of scripting?

If you wanna learn some scripting, you can watch the basics/advance guides of scripting by Peaspods. I learned a lot from his which made me inspired and can understand a lot of LUA.

If you can script a bit, it’s still something to learn and grow overtime. :+1:

Link to playlists:
Basic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dbJXSa12Q&list=PLXX6hhg4CysYf0M-_GtCEOgGlkBfrXsoJ

Advance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRS255_y8rM&list=PLXX6hhg4CysbJWPZTFBxCxutohhKNrHKU

EDIT: @Lava_Creeper03 It really isn’t, it is just missing somethings, but 95% of the code is not outdated, really up to date.

3 Likes

The only problem with these are they’re quite outdated, lol.

1 Like

If you understand python well then you can learn LUA very quickly. I learned python through my school and then transitioned over to LUA. So far I have been coding in LUA for four months now. It is a pretty easy transition.

Oh also watch @Alvin_Blox’s youtube videos, they are very helpful!

2 Likes

It may seem like you can’t do everything by yourself, but trust me, you can.

I have never used image editors or whatever they’re called in my life before, until a few days ago where i needed to create my own logo. This was the result: GRIEFLOGO!

I absolutely sucked at scripting a few weeks ago, but i took an approach to try and learn, as i do in everything in life, and now im pretty decent. Iv’e created a whole game system in just a few days!

This also applies to building, and so on. NEVER GIVE UP.

Hope this helps! :+1:

2 Likes

Haha, that’s awesome. Glad python was useful for something. Thanks for the help. :wink:

Thank you for the feedback/suggestions - I’m gonna spend my next few weeks in quarantine to focus on learning the key features of a game.

1 Like

Oh, and I also have another question.

How do you find an investor (as you can’t really post investor stuff on the devforum)?

Go on hidden developers. You can post stuff that is not allowed on here on there.

1 Like

Alright, thanks.

I’ve been recommended that before - I’ll make sure to check it out.

Learning how to do most of the things yourself is good, as you learn how to do a wide variety of things, but it also increases the amount of time used to make the game, also you have to learn how to specialize in certain areas, like scripting usually, and people without scripting experience would have a hard time with the entire game, so getting some friends to help is always good, and offering a percentage of revenue is probably the best option because your paying what the game makes, and not just out of your wallet, and also kind of forcing developers to finish the game so that money can actually be made.

1 Like

Firstly, be absolutely sure of what you want to do and have a completely serious drive for making this game. Not like “hey I want to make another piggy/jailbreak” and the project crumbles within the week. Secondly, you don’t need a whole lot of robux. There are devs who work for not a whole lot or will accept %. I’m working for free rn because I just got off a huge project where, I don’t need anythign for a while and I wanna help others out. There is always a backdoor to get where you want. You can offer admin commands,ranks,limiteds,real life money,percentages… you can save your commission money to hire people (even if its like 500 robux) + a %. It would serve you a lot to learn too. Hope this helped

1 Like

Of course. I’m actually planning to hire a team myself if my game does get successful. All i was trying to say was that you don’t need to instantly hire a team to get your business going, rather you can start everything by yourself and hire a team with the money you get with your solo project.

1 Like

Python and Lua is pretty similar, it shouldn’t be hard for you to start scripting after a few videos.
Just work hard, that’s all I did.

I started 2018 with absolutely no knowledge of scripting or building. I copied others and read their codes, trying to understand the way they thinked in. After a few months, I started messing around with ROBLOX Studio and somehow made a teleport GUI that made me so happy. So I started watching tutorials and so much. Not to copy…to learn the new syntaxes and more.

It didn’t take so long for me until I could make my custom player through GUI, I thought in hope. I knew I could do it.

Just because something is hard you don’t need to hire someone to do it for you.
Just start of simple, try to understand, ask yourself questions, how can you make it better?.

I hate coming across posts like this, when I know you can do it. You have to believe you can do it.

Don’t start with hard things and post “The only problem I ran into for making this game, is finding and funding a development partner/team.” – Why would you need someone else?

I’m not posting this to make you think that it’s hard to develop or anything. Just to motivate you to start developing and exploring. Don’t ever let anyone stop you from doing that.

Sincerely,
SwedishLegend

2 Likes

Thank you, that was really nice.

The main focus of a development team is entirely for update/development ideas and just overall speeding the progress up and polishing some stuff. I’ve never really thought of learning how to script.

I’m currently skilled in:

• Building
  • GFX
  • UI Design
  • 3D Modelling (Blender)

Not skilled in:

• Game Management
  • Scripting

Just really hoping to achieve the skills I still need and hopefully make a succesful game.

@.Minitoon is a duo developer with his friend with no budget (I found), and offered a % of game earnings to Ikea.

The replies has kinda motivated me to start a project and start brainstorming ideas.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome, I hope it goes well for you and your upcoming projects.

1 Like