How to not make realistic models

Hello, the title might be slightly confusing but let me elaborate.

I use blender to model and I usually like modelling guns, the issue I almost always get is:
I decide to make a low poly style gun and then I end up making it realistic because I get carried away or have trouble keeping it low poly style, how could I ensure it stays low poly??

5 Likes

have a clear goal of what you want to make, have it sort of shaped in your mind of how you want it to look or get some reference photos and no smooth shading

1 Like

depends on what style you want to choose, because low poly is not a style.
these two models are low poly, but you clearly can say that those have diffrent styles
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.00.59 AM
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.00.48 AM
So if your style is a cartoony, then it should be simple, saturaded solid colors, but still recognizable shape,

1 Like

theres nothing wrong with getting carried away in that kind of stuff, you must simply be learning new things and being excited to use them right away, which causes you to well… get carried away! but if you must keep it in that sort of style then you should use references that match what you’re trying to achieve and stay focused on your goal!
references will serve you as a constant reminder on what you’re doing.

1 Like

thanks, the problem with me getting carried away is that each model gets better and I can’t really use it in game if every model has a different amount of realism

1 Like

i feel you man. references remind me on what im doing so i dont do that mistake

2 Likes