How would i check if a player's key is down

well, i lied, i know how to do it, but i was wondering if there was a better way of doing it, because what i had in mind is in doing a variable for every wasd key and changing the varible using iskeydown(). im not sure how to do it otherwise, heres my script

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
	if (UIS:GetFocusedTextBox()) then
		return; 
	end
	if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.LeftShift  and debounce then

debounce = false

Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart").Velocity = Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart").CFrame.LookVector * 250 
		wait(1)
		debounce = true
	end
end)

https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/classes/UserInputService#GetKeysPressed

as an alternative to IsKeyDown() you can use this method to get an array of currently pressed keys. then search for your specific keys of interest inside the array

but whats wrong with IsKeyDown()?

You can actually rewrite the

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
	if (UIS:GetFocusedTextBox()) then
		return; 
	end

to

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input, busy)
	if busy then return end

since InputBegan returns 2 arguments, and the second one is the same thing as checking if the mouse is focused into a textbox

Also

I would guess you can make a guard clause that looks like this if input.KeyCode ~= Enum.KeyCode.KEY to further clean up your code

1 Like

iskeydawn is a userinput service, which means i have to get it outside the function, im trying to find a way to check the key simultaneously while checking if player is clicking shift or not

why cant you call UIS:IsKeyDown() inside the function?

huh, i thought iskeydown is a function :skull:

you can call functions inside other functions

1 Like