How would I go about a custom private server list?

Hello Developers!

I am currently working on a horror game that will have a story mode and a multiplayer similar to the new Steam game Phasmophobia. I have story mode set out but my question is how would I create a custom server list so that players could join a random server or search for a server so they could play with friends.

The issue is that I have zero clues about how to do it. I have heard that you can use MessagingService although apparently, it’s not very reliable. I have searched Youtube, the DevForum, and even gone onto Lua Learning by @boatbomber and have still not found any tutorials that aren’t outdated.

If anyone knows how to do something like this please tell me because I am really struggling.

Thanks for reading. :+1:

You mentioned MessagingService and while it’s sort of unreliable, I don’t think there’s a better way to do it.

You could accomplish this by having the server send out a message that has the following:

• How many players are in the server.
  • The names of all those players.

With this info you can set up exactly what you’re looking for.

On the Roblox roadmap there’s a function coming called ‘Cloud Scripts’ where you could run scripts outside the context of servers. Meaning you could stop using MessagingService for a hopefully way more reliable cloud script. (It’s hopefully coming before the end of 2020.)

1 Like